The "Bill" Electric Plant

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustkolector

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I have recently finished the Jerry Howell designed 1906 "Bill" engine. It is a great running little engine. To make it a little more fun for me to play with, I configured it as a belt driven electric plant using the PM Research DYN-1 dynamo. The engine runs very well on propane now, and at 1400 RPM, it pulls the dynamo nicely with a regulated 6.5v output. The bulbs can be switched on and off to vary the load. The evaporative cooling system works well, and will hold the engine at about 165F. It does consume some water once it gets up to temperature just like it's supposed to do. The propane fuel system uses a Weber "Go Anywhere" portable gas grill regulator, and the standard demand regulator. Starting is very easy on propane. It wasn't easy a while back, but it is now. The second photo shows the electric plant under lighting load.
Jeff

Billfinished2.jpg

Billrunning1.jpg

That's a very nice-looking setup, thanks for sharing it! :bow:

Awesome! Thanks you.
That's the 3rd time today I've seen that type of generator.
I'll be using that someday.

I haven't tried making or posting any movies yet. I'll give it a try sometime soon. Does it require a digital movie camera, or is a still digital camera in movie mode ok?
Jeff

Looks like an excellent candidate for engine of the month! What do you think guys?

;D

That's a pretty engine! The little generator matches it nicely too.

A digital still camera will work fine for movies, Jeff. You may have to put it in macro mode for it to focus if you want to get close enough to see the engine well. That's how mine works, at least.
When you get the movie made you can up load it to You Tube and then imbed it here and it will show up and play in the forum. I'll bet we'd all like to see it run!

Dean

Jeff, that's a really nice display Thm:

Regards, Arnold

Beautiful. I like the matching color scheme.

I do hope mine will come out looking as professional as everyone elses models do. I've got stage fright from the high standards everyones effort represents.

Was the dynamo from a kit or just from plans?

Kermit

Great job Jeff !! Nicely finished and mounted with the pump,cooling tower, dynamo and lights too

Bill

I have made a video of the Bill Electric Plant. Hope it works here. If it doesn't work, you can go to You Tube and search for "The Bill Electric Plant".

Jeff

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSmjf4iP9Bs[/ame]

Very nice!! ;D

It's really pretty, Jeff, and it runs just great! Thanks for the video.

Dean

Excellent build Jeff. I too would second the nomination fro MOM. Do you get any slippage out of the belt when you apply a load?
gbritnell

George,
The belt is .031" thick x .25" wide rubberized fabric. It does not slip. It is the same belting that PM Research sells, but this one is an endless belt purchased to size. The light flicker is cyclic irregularity caused by the engine slowing down on each compression stroke. Need a much larger flywheel to minimize it. The engine slows about 125-150 RPM with the .75 amp load. The bulb brightness dims substantially with the loss of RPM at the generator. That's why I put a voltage regulator in the output. I get a constant 6.5v, but the flicker remains.
Jeff

Very, very nice, Jeff. Excellent work.

I bought the plans for the Bill engine several years ago. Guess I'll have to pull them out and dust them off!

Chuck

Rustkolector
Where did you get the light fixtures? I am building a electric plant and need something similar to what you have used. So far no luck on the internet.
Mine will use an air motor to drive the generator.

Latest posts

Back