The Beginning of another I. C. Engine,

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidLloyd2

Reaction score
------------After Building Brian Rupnows vertical I. C. engine and being please with that engine I decided to have a go at Brian's Rockerblock I. c. engine.
So I started on the two side plates
Two Days workshop time I have two side plates ,

To be continued.

DavidLloyd

DDT_5399.jpg

DDT_5430.jpg

DDT_5441.jpg

N Z is metric and all the stuff I am buying is in metric
Drawing for the side plates call for .375 material I am buying and using 10mm,

NSK Bearing I got are mm: 6001DDUCM 1605 NS7SI 12mm ID

Nut and Bolts call for imperial I will be using mm

DavidLloyd

Looking good David. I'll be following your build too

Strangely enough, I designed it for metric bearings because I had a pair of sealed 12 mm bearings I had saved from something I tore apart. However, that was the only really metric part. Of course the crankshaft had to be partly metric to suit the bearings, and the bore of the small gear, ignition cam, and flywheels had to be metric to match the crankshaft. I can work in metric, but I'm not really comfortable with it. I was in my mid to late 20's when some fool decreed that Canada would become a metric country. I had to work in metric after that for 10 or 15 years, but Canada slowly transitioned into a permanent haze of semi metric/semi British Imperial (inches). I reverted back to the old system I learned 65 years ago in the public school system. Now that I design ****e mostly for fun, I don't do metric unless I really have to.---Brian

Good Day and Time for a up-date and some photos
I have completed the Rocker Post and the bolt down plate,

I will make the cylinder head end next to keep the frame together.

I do like the 4 jaw self centering chuck on a rotary table Ideal for quick setup for doing the radius on top of the Rocker post,

DavidLloyd

DDT_5469.jpg

DDT_5467.jpg

DDT_5459.jpg

DDT_5455.jpg

I spent most of my time working in my cold work-shop on the cylinder head end of the frame.
Three Excellent Drawings got me through that no problems.

Cylinder is made from cast iron and the Bolster- Tappet Guide is from bronze,

DavidLloyd

DDT_5472.jpg

DDT_5492.jpg

DDT_5510.jpg

DDT_5518.jpg

DDT_5519.jpg

DDT_5535.jpg

DDT_5536.jpg

DDT_5540.jpg

DDT_5545.jpg

DDT_5547.jpg

Beautiful work David. I find it absolutely thrilling when someone else builds one of my engines and documents it.---Brian Rupnow

Dave

Nice!! You will have to bring it along on Wednesday

Pete

Some Progress being made in the last two weeks
I have never made a Built up crankshaft and con rod this way

Thanks to Brian's excellent instructions on the crankshaft drawing all went together good,

DavidLloyd

DDT_5548.jpg

DDT_5551.jpg

DDT_5557.jpg

DDT_5562.jpg

DDT_5564.jpg

DDT_5572.jpg

DDT_5574.jpg

DDT_5587.jpg

DDT_5592.jpg

David--What happened to your build? I tune in every day looking for progress, but nothing is happening. I hope all is well.---Brian

Brian
Making cams is not one of my favorite things to make Hopefully by the end of the day I will have two cams that I will be satisfied with and move on to the flywheels,

DDT_5607.jpg Tow modified gears
DDT_5604.jpg Making Cams
DDT_5610.jpg

DavidLloyd

The Month of August in New Zealand being Cold Time in the workshop is limited
But some progress.
Brian after no response from trying to locate a water jet company in Wellington I have committed to do the flywheels myself
Parts to add to the Rockerblock,

DavidLloyd

DDT_5613.jpg

DDT_5617.jpg

DDT_5618.jpg

DDT_5635.jpg

DDT_5629.jpg

Great stuff, David. Thank you so much for the pictures. I spent a lot of time and money on my water-jet cut flywheels, and although they are quite remarkable when setting still, you can't see how fancy they are when the engine is running anyways.---Brian

Latest posts

Back