The 4th Dimension

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Jerry

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
The first engine I built happened almost. I was fooling around with some plumbing fittings and they started turning. No plans and just a hazy concept of how steam engines and valves work. Crap-o-Cad got involved in my second effort and it helped to visualize a goal.

I fooled around with a few free 2D programs before I found one that wanted to work the way I thought it should. It opened new doors. Precise dimensions. Wow!

Most 3D Cad programs, at least the free or cheap ones were frustrating and mysterious until I was shown Alibre' by this forum and then things really got interesting. Inter-related parts and assemblies seem like the real world.

All this is just leading up to the most useful design tool that I have used. The 4th Dimension, Motion. And not just simple defined motion but motion defined by the defined relationship of the parts. I don't have the full motion option or any of the advanced options, just the basic $99 2011 Version but it can be used to put assemblies into motion, to check fits and clearances and even to better understand the function of complex assemblies.

The basic Alibre' program does not have any way to record or to export motion video but I have used a screen capture program that will capture the motion and host the captured video or sharing on the web. In the next day or two I'm going to post some captured 4D using Alibre' and Jing.

If anyone else is using motion with their Cad or have a better or different way to capture screen video, jump in here and show what you are doing and how.

Jerry

http://screencast.com/t/saDRE3DV8YSC

Latest posts

Back