Taking a Cut While Rotating a 5-C Collet Index

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMI

Reaction score
Greetings,

It has been quite some time since I have posted. I had moved to a job site where there wasn't access to machine tools but the situation has changed and I'm back in the saddle again. ;D

Me thinks an Elmer's Mine Engine #29 is in the future. Was wondering if this 5-C Collet Index (the G5650 from Grizzly) could be used to cut the radius on the cylinder.
Can the index be mounted horizontally on the milling machine and the index be rotated while the cutting tool is removing metal? Or are indexing devices meant to be rotated then a cut is preformed? I know this may sound like a simple question but I don't want to spend the money only to discover that the tool is being misused.

I built Elmer's #33 Mill Engine with the same cylinder but used a rotary table in the vertical position. This time I'd like to try using the indexer assuming it is meant for that.

TIA

Jim

The rotary table is the proper tool for this. The Spindex will allow the tool to pull the part around and you won't be able to feed it well. You can grind on a Spindex, whirligig if you will.

Greg

Greetings, It has been quite some time since I have posted. I had moved to a job site where there wasn't access to machine tools but the situation has changed and I'm back in the saddle again.
If that is the case time to make yourself a lathe or milling machine! That would avoid the dry spells.
;D Me thinks an Elmer's Mine Engine #29 is in the future. Was wondering if this 5-C Collet Index (the G5650 from Grizzly) could be used to cut the radius on the cylinder. Can the index be mounted horizontally on the milling machine and the index be rotated while the cutting tool is removing metal? Or are indexing devices meant to be rotated then a cut is preformed?
Generally that is how they are used. However if you look at how radius turning is often done on a lathe you will see it is a manually guided tool. There are big difference in how the tooling works so I'm not about to suggest doing radius turning like this on a mill.
I know this may sound like a simple question but I don't want to spend the money only to discover that the tool is being misused. I built Elmer's #33 Mill Engine with the same cylinder but used a rotary table in the vertical position. This time I'd like to try using the indexer assuming it is meant for that. TIA Jim

I'd look for a better way myself. There is a significant risk of the end mill catching you off guard and self feeding the part. There isn't a lot of leverage there, at least not on most spin indexers.

Thanks Wizard69.

I purchased a non-indexing Horizontal/Vertical 5C Collet Fixture that I will mount to the rotary table. Will try to post some pics down the road.

Jim

Back