Tailstock DRO

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
Hi

During the course of my small boiler project.(still unfinished) I had many occasions where the drilling of blind or flat bottomed holes was required. Constantly removing the drill to measure the depth of the hole became a bit of a chore so I decide at the earliest opportunity I would fit a DRO to the tail stock. Before getting down to design and cutting metal I jotted down a few requirements.

1. It must be easy to use. Some gadgets are very pretty to look at and are technically brilliant but are often not that easy to use. In that case when its difficult to use its more often than not left in its box

2. It must be quick and easy to install and remove. Once again if its difficult I would manage without it.

3. It must have plenty of clearance around it and not interfere with the use of the tailstock.

4. It must not interfere with any other function of the lathe.

5. No modification of the tailstock at all. No drilling or tapping.

With these requirements in mind I set about designing and building the DRO. I'm not going to show any plans (Cos there aint any) or show any measurements. The DRO is shown being fitted to my Myford ML7 but should be easily adaptable to most lathes. The DRO itself is a cheap set of digital calipres which can be removed from the tailstock very quickly when required elsewhere. The mounting for the DRO is mostly 3/8 thick ally bar 1 1/2 & 2 inch wide.

2 pieces of ally cut to rough size

DSC07809.jpg

Clamped together vertically and drilledx through.

DSC07812.jpg

DSC07813.jpg

Note how the long stud goes through the centre of the vice I made

Tap the holes in the large part and drill the small half with a clearance drill

DSC07814.jpg

Make 2 studs

DSC07815.jpg

The 2 parts bolted together

DSC07816.jpg

In the 4 jaw chuck to drill and then bore out to 1 1/2 inch

DSC07817.jpg

DSC07818.jpg

DSC07819.jpg

DSC07820.jpg

DSC07821.jpg

Boring out the front piece

DSC07822.jpg

Then a trial fit on the tailstock

DSC07823.jpg

Cut a slot

DSC07824.jpg

Then cut out a corner

DSC07825.jpg

Drill through

DSC07826.jpg

Then tap

DSC07827.jpg

Another trial fit

DSC07828.jpg

Drill 2 holes

DSC07829.jpg

Drill 2 corresponding holes and tap

DSC07830.jpg

The front piece has a slot milled in it to accept the calipres and the has some of the excess metal cut away

DSC07833.jpg

2 holes drilled and tapped for the clamp

DSC07836.jpg

The thumbscrew bracket being drilled

DSC07837.jpg

Turning the thumbscrew

DSC07839.jpg

All the parts

DSC07840.jpg

All the parts assembled

DSC07842.jpg

Heres a couple of videos

I need to make a thumbscrew for the front clamp and do away with the cap head bolt, no tools will then be needed to fit the calipres into the clamps.

Cheers

Rich

That's a pretty neat idea Rich. Now I want to know what the pretty blue drill thingy is. I'm not familiar with it. I embedded a machinists rule into the top of the tail stock ram. Now I have to build something like you did.
Mel

Rich,

Very neat idea
idea1.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Hi

Finished it off today by making another thumb screw, now no tools atre needed to fit or remove.

DSC07843.jpg

DSC07844.jpg

Cheers

Rich

Rich

That was an excellent write up.

I have been thinking on and off for quite a while about putting a DRO on my S7 tailstock and had been looking at the horizontal scales and trying to work out a neat way of installing same. Using your idea of a set of calipers is much neater (and cheaper) than anything I have come up with.

Thanks for the idea.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Like so many of the Chinese import lathes, mine has a tailstock with a flat top.

I bought one of those magnetic backs for a 2" DI and stuck it on top of the TS. Its tip bears against a vertical plate that clamps to the TS ram (much as Rich has done).

Very nice. Here's one I made for my 12x36 after reading of Cedges a while back. Works pretty well, though it's still a little bit half-assed-- I put it to work right away versus tidying it up, and it was planned out and built by sorta squinting a little and firing up the mill. "Hmm.. let's try this... ok, that sorta works, but now we need a hole here.. and here...and oops.. maybe one there.." :D

I also note Grizzly has a 'Tailstock DRO" (you make the ram-ring) in their latest catalog, which is a more refined version of the same thing including a separate display

You'll probably want to take the sharp tips off the backside of the caliper if you dedicate it to the job. I blunted mine, but still should take more off..

TailstockDRO.JPG

Tailstock DRO's seem like really handy gadgets.

I don't have real multi-axis DRO's on any of my machines, but it seems like I have a DRO for whatever the axis closest to the work is:

- A quill DRO for the mill.

- A compound DRO for the lathe.

I use those two very often. A tailstock DRO would make a nice addition to that lineup and looks easy to build.

Best,

BW

Latest posts

Back