Taig lathe for.........

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonphil1960

Reaction score
Hi all, Just joined the boards here. I will be getting a Taig lathe in the next month or so. With the Taig lathe and milling attachment can I build a engine from castings? New to machining but have experience with metal work, (see my welcome intro) I would like to do as much as I can with the Taig lathe with milling kit for the near future. I am also looking into a drill press. Do I really need a drill press to build simple engines from castings? I am working indoors, in the house in a very small room where I build my military models, not a shop my any means. So small and compact is the name of the game for me for now.

Thanks Tony

I have very little experience myself. I have a small lathe, mill, and a small table-top drill press. I've built two engines so far (and slooooowly) working on a third. I've yet to use the drill press. Whether you need one or not may depend on the type of engines you're thinking about. More knowledgeable members will help.

I don't know your situation....my shop is in the basement. I keep seldom used or very messy tools in the garage and that way have a bit more room.

Don't forget storage for tools, accessories, etc.

Ah...and there you go...a knowledgeable member (Tin) popped in while I was writing.
What he said.

Tin,, I am from Passaic Co. about 10 min from the NY line. yes I will try a bar stock kit first for sure. I also have a modeling sire that sells them. Looking into something simple to machine at first. I am hoping to use the lathe to also make parts and tools for static scale modelers like myself. Small parts in brass and alum.
Zee, I am working in a tiny room, with a bench on one side and book shelves on the other, if I take out the bottom shelves I will have room for the Taig, the bench is there so I'll be set I hope enough room for me that's all I need.

Thanks Tony

Hey Tony and Welcome to HMEM, I too am still learning.
This is a Stuart Steam Engine that you can build with a Taig; it was built on a Sherline which is very similar in size.

IMG_0145.jpg

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grl5s_BLuQs[/youtube]

Ji Jeff, Thanks, very nice work you have there. Was that a kit from castings or a bar stock kit ?

Tony

Tony,

Welcome to our forum
icon_welcome.gif

Enjoy your Taig.

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob,

Can't wait till get it, few weeks I am hoping ! Are you a ship builder, (avatar)?

Tony

Tony,

I was a Marine Engineer and the ship's HMAS Brisbane which I stood by whilst it was being built by Defoe in Bay City Michigan. I also serve in her on the gunline in Vietnam. Of all the ships I was in, she is my favourite and the one which has the most happy memories for me.

Sorry to waffle on but you hit a soapbox nerve. ::) ::)

Best Regards
Bob

tonphil1960 said:
Ji Jeff, Thanks, very nice work you have there. Was that a kit from castings or a bar stock kit ?

Tony

Its a Cast Kit from Stuart

Bob, I can see you love your ships and are proud of your service. I commend you on that ! Jeff once again very nice work.

Tony

Latest posts

Back