Taig and Sherline

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gus.

I had problems finding that site, ended up finding something here: http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html. The site behaves funny, but the link I gave above seems to work for the project page. Finding anything else is a pain.

As for the Taig it has a good reputation for a very low cost machine. People just need to be aware of the other options out there for a very small lathe. Personally it is too small for me if I was stuck with one machine.

OK. Try TaigLatheMachiningProjects. I just went in. The Deans site may have gone bonkers. Made a few tools from here.

The taig is much less expensive than the sherline and is more of a DIY solution.

Barebones price comparison:

Taig: Basic lathe $168 no motor
+ tailstock $40 and drill chuck $11
+ 3 jaw chuck $67

Sherline $700 includes motor, tailstock, 3 jaw and drill chuck

Almost any motor can be used on the taig, easy to find one on CL for $20, old 1/4hp 1725rpm furnace motor etc. Get some pulleys to setup for approx. 1000 rpm and you're set for most work.

One thing very annoying with the Sherline is the carriage can only be moved with the feedscrew, rather than a quick moving rack as on the taig.

I like Sherline, and own a lot of it. I find the Taig, with its crazy motor hanging out on a bracket with a flimsy belt just plain offensive to me. I like neat, clean, efficient mechanical devices. The Taig looks like some cross between and erector set and tinkertoy.

They are cheaper, and many guys have them and do good work with them. But I would be embarrassed to have one in my shop.

But I would be embarrassed to have one in my shop.

wow quite rude opinion on the Taig lathe:hDe:

I have one and I didn't get it with the motor. Did a different set up
that you don't see the motor like the Sherline. Many of my freinds
have a Sherline and they sure envy my set up:D

chek for yourself

DSCF1025.jpg

DSCF1023.jpg

Impressive setup but that workshop is far too clean. Your Taig must be on risers with the toolpost mounted on top of the compound?

Being used to my South Bend with a humongous horizontal drive, I hardly notice the Taig motor nor have I ever felt the need for variable speed.

Impressive setup but that workshop is far too clean. Your Taig must be on risers with the toolpost mounted on top of the compound?
YES IT IS

Being used to my South Bend with a humongous horizontal drive, I hardly notice the Taig motor nor have I ever felt the need for variable speed.

I don't only have a Taig I have different size also:fan:

12X36.jpg

SEIG.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Ginger View Post
But I would be embarrassed to have one in my shop.
wow quite rude opinion on the Taig lathe

I have one and I didn't get it with the motor. Did a different set up
that you don't see the motor like the Sherline. Many of my freinds
have a Sherline and they sure envy my set up

Well luc maybe a strong opinion. but one of the main dislikes is the motor in the back ? you seemed to solve this issues. Ron also admitted that while he does not like the taige others do and he also stated capable of good work. so
sometimes as the grass often appears greener in the other yard the tools in the other guys shop look better too.
I do not think it matters what brand model or age of the lathe some will like them and some will not.

I guess that was a bit rude of me. Im in about my 3rd day of a head cold/flu and maybe a bit more grouchy than normal. But the taig motor mount is really awful, and by comparison the Shirline motor and control is so elegant and powerful.

Latest posts

Back