SX3 Conversion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now for the Nema 34.

http://www.kelinginc.net/KL34H295-43-8B.pdf

I hear from someone that I need to wire this as Bipolar Series.

Would this be right?

Pin 1 and 5 a 3.0 resistor between them
Pin 6 gets Brown wire
Pin 7 gets White wire
Pin 8 gets Blue wire
Pin 9 gets Green

Do I just twist the Red and Yellow wires together?
And the Black and Orange?

Matt

the nema 23 looks right and you definitely need to wire bi-polar series on the 34to keep the amps in the range of the gecko 540
Tin

Yep, those are right. Go, man, go!

Wow, that's a big motor.

This look right?
009-3.jpg

Does it matter which way the color bands on the resistor face?

I'm going to be using a 48v MeanWell power supply.

Matt

Yes, your wiring is right for the Nema 23 motors. No, it doesn't matter which way the resistors are.

Yes, I've thought about a giant stepper for a Sherline spindle motor, especially on the lathe... lots of bottom-end torque, exact speed control, and spindle indexing!

Any Ideas for how to attach the Radio Shack small project boxes to the steppers. "Epoxy"???? ???

Matt

Cable tie 'em for now, until you have time to make a bracket that bolts to the tiny threaded holes on the back end of the stepper?

Guys,

Guess what, I don't understand any of this. :'( I can only look on in envy :bow: and wish all of you, all the best with CNC. :)

Maybe one day someone will drag me kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. ???

Best Regards
Bob

Do I just twist the Red and Yellow wires together?
And the Black and Orange?
I would use some sort of real connection
1) twist then solder and insulate w tape or shink tube
2) a terminal block probably overkill
3) a crimp connector

Any Ideas for how to attach the Radio Shack small project boxes to the steppers. "Epoxy"Huh?? Huh?

I was planning on silicone sealer used silicone latex caulk held in place by wire ties have not cut the ties yet.
A bit of sealant around the wire will keep an possible coolant oil or moisture out of the motor. the reason to use a potting bx.

make a bracket that bolts to the tiny threaded holes on the back end of the stepper?
interesting idea.
Tin

Maryak said:
Guys,

Guess what, I don't understand any of this. :'( I can only look on in envy :bow: and wish all of you, all the best with CNC. :)

Maybe one day someone will drag me kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. ???

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob,

I Know absolutely nothing about CNC. These fine folk are helping me through it though. Baby steps, and a willingness to try something new is why alot of us are here in the first place.

Cheers Matt,

Chuck;

First, let me thankyou for your info post on Soigeneris. Jeffery has been a big help on getting me on track. I am getting my Gecko and power supply from him.

Here's the link for the db-9 connectors:
http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=8141

I think there pretty darn handy for us one armed fellers. :big:

Matt

Today's goodies include the project boxes, soldering station, and a multimeter.
001-22.jpg

It's starting to look like there's a NASA project going on around here in the basement. :eek:

Matt

Good going Matt and you are teaching the rest of us a thing or two as well. That cutout link could come in handy.
Those connectors are great for quick motor testing especially when one does not have a spec sheet. A gender bender along with them comes in handy also.
Tin

Matt, I'm glad you found the link to Jeffery Birt helpful.

Also thanks for the link to the drawings for the DB9 connectors. I'm working on a control box for a Taig lathe I've been converting to CNC. I'm using a G540 also. A DB9 connector looks like a good way to bring in lines from the limit switches, etc.

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

Latest posts

Back