SX3 Conversion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John; thats a very clean and slick set-up!

Tin; I have decieded on the G540. Thanks for your help on that! Will need help when it comes to wiring the motors though I'm sure.,

Matt

if you notice John is using potting boxes AKA radio Shack project boxes $2.29 each to make his connectons. I anm planning on this approach for my current build. If you are not comfortable soldering there is a device called a DB-9 field termination connector that allows wires to be attached to a screw terminal. about $10 each.http://www.winfordeng.com/products/brksd9.php
Tin

Tin;

I didn't notice the boxes right away. Thanks for pointing that out for me. I like that Idea, as I would like to convert the lathe later on also using the same driver and computer. I gave my 14yr old son a cheap radio shack soldering iron this weekend, and a toy computer that my 4yr old girl slammed in a closet door, which pinched the little mouse wire in two. Since I started talking about this CNC thing I've gotten his attention. He's really into computers and gaming. I figure It would be a way for him and I to do something together. So he Googled soldering and watch a few short video's and 2 hours later he had the 5 hair sized wires soldered together, heat shrunk, and ready to try out. Low and behold it worked. I am very proud of him for trying something new, and now being my wing man, going into this CNC venture.

Cheers Matt

PS thanks for the link

On the question of limit switches, there is no need for them, Mach will run happily without them.

I have not put them on my Jet Knee mill, but I did put them on my router. Its really a matter of how clever you want to get.

The soft limits are only useful if you have the machine homed, which means having home switches. Without them Mach will assume HOME is wherever the table is when it boots up. That makes the soft limits a but useless. You can always make it a habit to move the table to some known location, then click the home button and Mach will then base soft limits on that location.

I dont see HOME switches very useful on a mill since every time I start a job I must reference to the work Im about to do. On a lathe I do think home switches are useful. Ive been testing my new lathe for the past week and one test left to do is a repeatability of the home switches.

My first bit of advice is to get the basic motion of the conversion working first, then add things like limits, spindle control, coolant control etc.

stevehuckss396 said:
I have an old 1.8 gig CPU and XP.

This is right off the mach site.

Mach3 Minimum Requirements:
◦32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 Operating System
◦1Ghz CPU
◦512MB RAM
◦Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM
◦Basic Computer Skills (ability to copy/rename files, browse directories, etc)
◦Desktop PC (if using the Mach3 Parallel Port Driver - laptops are not supported because the power saving features of the chipsets disrupt the pulse stream, PCMCIA and USB parallel adaptors will *not* work.)

Would this work? or would I have to get some special video card?
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-FAST-HP-2-8-G...ZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item35a789048d

Matt

probably need a video card but that should not be a big deal
Tin

You'll be spoiled by the G540 and not even know it! ;D When it comes time to power the lathe, buy a pair of G251's, which are the boards inside the G540, and you can use the same Mach settings for both machines' stepper drivers.

I told my wife that if I do these conversions myself, that for the same price of the kit, I could do both the mill and lathe with there own computer and drivers. I was just going to get 2 G540's, I know that I would only be using half of the driver for the lathe, but figure it would be easier than messing with break out boards and such.

Matt

Ah, wiring the breakout board is a breeze, especially after you've gotten experience from the 540.

I guess I should update my "lathe project" thread...

You guys are making me feel gheto for using the same power supply and g540 for the lathe and the mill . I figure I only have 1 computer and 1 copy of mach 3 so why not.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
You guys are making me feel gheto for using the same power supply and g540 for the lathe and the mill .

hey, that's why it has DB-9 plugs! Nothing wrong with swapping it. No way I was going to use my Xylotex on a second machine, though. It's bad enough using it for ONE machine. ;D
Besides, it's tucked away in the mill enclosure.

I just don't know what to do ??? :wall: Swapping two wires would be the smart thing "way cheaper".
When time comes to start ordering "and paying for" I'm sure things and ideas will change. I just like talking "typing" out loud, so to speak. Your opinions and comments are very appreciated, it sure helps me try to make decisions before forking over the bucks.

Matt :big:

IH ther hobby licence allows the use of mach 3 as many machines as you want but one at a time. Having two complete set ups is a good thing . I personaly do not have and extra 500 buck to buy a second computer G540 and power supply. That may come later but not now . I am happy and ecited to have the mooors on my lathe and am looking forward to the wiring soon. yo may want to pend the "extra" money on quick change tooling instead . I drool over the tormach mill QC stuff but pricey. for the sake of easy switching of two axis you could get a couple of the old db9 abc boxes.
Tin

Like this http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/DB9-Switches-2-Male-to-1-Female/SWL030A-MMF

I was wondering about if something existed to allow switching between the two.

If these boxes would work I would be very happy with that setup. Not having to unhook the wires and reroute them each time would be a big plus in my book.

Save the bucks from the seperate drive and computer and put it in to a power drawbar. Boy that would be the cats meow for one handed tool changes. ;D

Matt

I have purchased L-com products from Allied . Seems like nice stuff Looks like something else to add to my things to oder list.
A couple of boxes and a few db 9 cables

Save the bucks from the seperate drive and computer and put it in to a power drawbar. Boy that would be the cats meow for one handed tool changes. Grin
bob Warfield built one from a harbor freight pheumatic wrench. IIRc it cost about $100 in materials. you do need a compressor to run it.
Tin

1hand said:
Can I use pre made cables?
Sure thing. You'll have to add a resistor between two pins on each cable at the gecko end... or inside the switchbox... hmmm...

:bow: Those switchboxes are a good idea, just use two, one each for X and Z, and leave Y hooked up to the mill full-time.

a 3.48 resistor right?

Why the X and Z? I thought it would be the X and Y, for they will be the same motors on both the mill and lathe, the Nema 23 381's, and the Z on the mill is going to be a 34.

I didn't know about the pre made db-9 cables, I thought I read some where about grounding one wire when using the Belden 8723 wire. ??? ???

Tin Falcon said:
bob Warfield built one from a harbor freight pheumatic wrench. IIRc it cost about $100 in materials. you do need a compressor to run it.
Tin

Thanks Tin, The plans are on the way. Was depressed when I found out that Tormach Power Drawbar didn't work with the SX3. This is nice and a fraction the cost. Better yet just bought the same air wrench from HB 2 weeks ago.

Thanks Matt

Latest posts

Back