SX3 Conversion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tin Falcon said:
if you notice John is using potting boxes AKA radio Shack project boxes $2.29 each to make his connections.
Tin

While playing around with the Mach 3 demo last night, I came a cross the wizards for cutting them db-9 connector holes for the boxes....................ohhhhhhhhhhh.....I cant Wait. :big: :big:

My plan, hopefully this weekend is to put potting boxes on the motors then wire db 9 males to the boxes and put the cs resisters inside the box. If I ever get to the point of taking the lathe on the road for demos i do not have to worry about tripping over or puling out the cable from the box just unplug before moving .
BTW 1hand mach three comes with the g code to cut the profiles for db-9 and dB 25 connectors. Hndy Huh
Tin

1hand said:
Why the X and Z? I thought it would be the X and Y, for they will be the same motors on both the mill and lathe, the Nema 23 381's, and the Z on the mill is going to be a 34.

I just said it that way 'cause there's no Y on a lathe. ;D There's no reason you couldn't switch X and Y, and just change the pinouts in Mach3.

Why the X and Z? I thought it would be the X and Y, for they will be the same motors on both the mill and lathe, the Nema 23 381's, and the Z on the mill is going to be a 34.
a lathe uses x for the cross slide axis and Z for longitudinal.
just put the current set resistors either in the project box on the db 9 connector or if you hard wire to the motor conections you can biuld the resistor into the gecko end of the cable this is what I did on the mill.
that is the beauty of the gecko you do not have to set it up for one type of motor per axis. It just needs to have the right cs resister when you plug a motor in.
Tin

I'm sorry, I think I maybe experiencing brain overload. Could someone post a pic or two as to where and how the resistors are installed.

Sorry, but a pic is worth two nights of typing. "especially with one key at a time"

;D Matt

Matt I feel the pain. Even though this is a second build for me there are still lots to think about. I can problem do more picks this weekend.
If you have not done so download the manual set up guide and general faq sheets from gecko and do the 540b.xml file also you will need it . I have printed the mach 3 books the gecko guides data sheets for my motors and invoices listing all the little parts and put them in a 3 ring binder.Documentation will come in handy down the road.
Tin

This is a email reply from the guy I ordered the G540 from on using the switch boxes.

1) They are designed to switch low current signals and may or may not switch all pins. If the connectors used and/or the internal wiring does not support operation up to 3.5A it could cause a problem.
2) The G540 driver uses resistors to program the motor drive current. You'll have to install the resistors on the cables on the motor side to ensure that the correct programming resistor is switched in.
3) Accidentally switching stepper motors while the drive is on will damage it.

I already ordered the switch boxes. I don't want to burn up a $300 G540, so I'm stressing now on what to do.

Matt

I think you are bein fed a diclaimeer by salesman covering his but.

1) I would not try to switch things hot. Open the box and make sure the wire size /gauge is sufficient and check to make sure all leads switch.
2) if there is propper resistance from pin 1-5 why does it matter where you put it. sounds like asaleman repeating info he knows nothing about.
3) Put a hinged Plexiglas cover over the boxes to prevent accidental switching.

I already ordered the switch boxes. I don't want to burn up a $300 G540, so I'm stressing now on what to do.
no need to stress not the end of your project just use a bit of prudence and you should be fine. If you are realy worried contact marcus @ Geckco and run it by him.
Tin

He is also worried about the wire size in the premade cables. 26 gage isn't heavy enough for the stepper motors. ??? ???

Thanks Tin;

I will be getting some heavier cables made up.

hang in there matt. I started the mill project about 14 months ago. It is probly more ready to go than I am. I only started the lathe a few weeks ago and things are falling into place. Of corse the lathe is a second project
Tin

I'm trying to relax, but second guessing myself is always been my down fall.

Should be a bit like Christmas around here in the next week or so when the brown truck starts showing up.

I haven't ordered a CAD/CAM software yet, I figure I would see what Mach 3 and Lazy Cam with the ad-dons will do for me first. I ordered that with my steppers from Keling as they had Mach 3 for $149.

I spouse my DRO and power feed could get sold now as they won't be much use anymore.

No turning back now! :eek:

007-5-1.jpg

006-7-1.jpg

008-4.jpg

Removed the table, saddle, and the Z axis drive and lead screw. Ready for the Ball screws and mounts.

Matt

Got the parts for the power Drawbar today.
001-21.jpg

Won't get to this til the CNC conversion is done.

Matt

First of the Electrical parts arrived.
003-15.jpg

002-16.jpg

004-13.jpg

005-10.jpg

Wow things moving forward . the power feed will no longer be needed but read the mach 3 manual you can still use the dro as inputs me thinks. They may still be useful do not list hem on e-bay or Craigs list just yet.
Tin

Latest posts

Back