Substitute for S.S.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boot

Reaction score
I'm building the Jerry Howell Super Stirling engine. Can I substitute brass/bronze for the Stainless Steel on the 2 rotors of the main crankshaft. I believe they are 1.250 in dia. I just don't have any access to it and besides it's a real bear to machine. Thanks Boot

I don't know of your application, but if you need to use SS. only use 303 SS. It has sulfur and phosphorous added to it to increase machinability. It's totally different to machine than 304 SS. This is the reason I won't buy any SS unless it is identified. The only drawback to 303 SS is it is not to be welded. All the online suppliers stock it and I use it quite a bit on my models. Give it a try once, I think you will find it is alot like machining mild steel when carbide tools are used. I once recieved a sizeable suggestion award where I worked when I convinced the bosses to substitute 303 for 304. We cut machining time by 75% and drastically cut tool wear. Dave

I see no reason you couldn't I just finished up 2 of those fans awhile back and I know it wouldn't hurt a thing.

Speedy metals lists 416 stainless at 75k tensile, 40k yield, 155 hardness (not as hard as 304 which has 180 hardness), 110% machinability, poor weldability, can be heat treated (unlike 304 which cannot be heat treated), and listed as good for pump rods and pistons at high elevated temperatures.

The corrosion resistance at elevated temperatures seems to go up as the machinability goes down, for instance 316 has good corrosion resistance at high elevated temperatures, but only has 36% machinability. I believe 316 has much better corrosion resistance than 416, but I need to verify that.

I generally go for machinability first, and strength second.
The corrosion resistance of the different stainless grades does vary, and may make a difference under elevated temperature applications.

My thoughts are if it is too hard to machine, then I don't use it for models.
The very hard materials can be ground to shape in some applications.

I like the stainless 416 with its 110% machinability.

Pat J

Rifle barrels are made from 416 SS. yes it has good machinability, but it does rust. Dave

Latest posts

Back