Stuart Turner Wikipedia entry

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshire Steve

Reaction score
Have updated the Wikipedia entry for Stuart Turner to something much more substantial using all the sources I could put my hands on (it really was minimal before). It is still far from complete - and undoubtedly has errors too, but I thought it needed doing. Would love to have some extra information on what models were available when, for example :

What was the 1906 No 2 engine ?
What was the relationship between the flat twin WD and AE engines, or were they the same?
What was the W4?
Any information at all on the early open crank IC engines and generators, e.g. hot tube 400 and precursors?
When were extinct models first listed and dropped (all I have is 1932-1936 Bonds catalogues to go by, so anyone with Stuart catalogues could help here)?
Which models have I missed - heck knows there are a lot !
Has anyone a picture of the Stuart 299cc motorcyle shown at the Olympia Show 1911?
Does anyone have information on the 1938 diesel (OK-not a model) ?

Also Wikipedia is VERY fussy about copyright on photos, but if you have superb photos of models taken by yourselves then they could be added, if I can figure out the formatting. I am a novice at layout. Rare and exotic engines preferred of course, anyone can find pics of the current ones (and the 10V picture was there already - I didn't have the heart to remove it without putting something better in its place).

Thanks
Steve

Looks like you are missing the "S-Type" which was an enclose high speed steam engine used for electrical generation, several on Preston Services site.

Steam hammer and didn't they do an undertype as well.

J

Have updated the Wikipedia entry for Stuart Turner to something much more substantial using all the sources I could put my hands on (it really was minimal before).

You are a braver man than most. Although Wikipedia is a wonderful resource, it is no thanks to the arcane and clumsy method of editing and formatting pages. Doing anything other than minor edits is so awkward that it is surprising that anyone bothers.

Looking for more information regarding Georg Schlesinger who was responsible for "Schlesinger's limits of accuracy" and the author of "Testing Machine Tools" I was surprised to find that there was no Wikipedia entry (although I did find him in the German Wikipedia : Georg Schlesinger).
Thinking that his contribution to the advancement of Mechanical Engineering in the 20th Century probably warranted a place on Wikipedia I decided to create an initial entry. but after a few frustrating evenings fighting the Wikipedia syntax and the impenetrable instructions for creating a biography I eventually admitted defeat and gave up.
Clive

Looks like you are missing the "S-Type" which was an enclose high speed steam engine used for electrical generation, several on Preston Services site.

Steam hammer and didn't they do an undertype as well.

J

Thanks Jason, I wasn't sure if S type was its correct designation, or whether that was due to the S for Stuart on the steam cover. I thought it was part of the wartime development and briefly mentioned it in that section, but now I have a list of engine numbers I can see 247 were made from 1934 to 1962. So I will move it into the inter-war section.

Steam hammer and a lot of non-steam models should get a mention, like the oil field nodding donkey. Maybe another section for that sort of thing.

You are a braver man than most. Although Wikipedia is a wonderful resource, it is no thanks to the arcane and clumsy method of editing and formatting pages. Doing anything other than minor edits is so awkward that it is surprising that anyone bothers.
Clive

Yes, editing is a bit messy, and there is so much I don't know about formatting yet, but at least the page was there in the first place so all I had to do was add material. However there are a surprising number of things slipping beyond peoples recall, and as a lot of model engineers start off with a Stuart (I did), I thought this was worth a bit of effort. I was surprised how many different things I managed to dig up, and there are still a lot of information about the early days yet to discover and add.

I have just discovered that in 1909 Stuart Turner made a scale model of Stephensons Rocket for the Science Museum.
http://www.ingenious.org.uk/See/?ta...ocket locomotive"&source=Search&viewby=images

Steve, I would be interested in what other info you may have on teh S-type as I have one almost drawn up at 1/2 size to make but as its based on photos and spec would be useful.

J

stype.JPG

Only dimensions I have are :
Height 22 inches
Flywheel 10 inches
Weight approx 120 pounds
Serial numbers were 1 (Jan 1934) to 247 (Jul 1962). Looking at the images on the web there seem to be several variations in the housing opposite the flywheel, probably reflecting the variety of uses. One of the ones used to drive a generator was SGL163, so Stuart were appending letters in normal fashion to reflect the variations for different purpose. Think its G for generator, L for lube pump.
Maybe you should buy one of the Preston examples, measure up then sell it on. However, with the flywheel being the only visible moving part I am not sure I can get very excited about it as the basis of a model.

Undertype engine now added to Wikipedia as far as I can discover. Can see original version was in the 1928 catalogue, would be useful to know other dates for it.

Latest posts

Back