Stuart Drawing Dimensions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Horne

Reaction score
I'm embarassed to say that I've not yet figured out the meaning of "CRS" when applied to dimensions on Stuart drawings even though I have built several Stuart models. CRS sometimes seems to be attached to the most critical dimensios, and sometimes not. This designation is used on drawings going back 40 years or more. Does anyone have a clue?

Definately centre to centre distance not cold rolled, when you see it in the context of a drawing its quite clearly not a material reference.

stuart.JPG

Aren't standards great - every company has one. Or two. Or four....

Definately centre to centre distance not cold rolled, when you see it in the context of a drawing its quite clearly not a material reference.

CRS means the length of distance divided in two such as the drawings is showing CRS 1" is 1" : 2 = 1/2". Also the center to hole to example is 1/2" in both ways will be total length 1" :)

CRS generally means "Cold Rolled Steel" just like HRS means "Hot Rolled Steel". But I've never seen it refer to the center to center distance on a drawing view. There is an ANSI symbol specifically used for that. Besides, if the dimension extension lines are connected to the hole centerlines then its a center to center dimension.

Looks to me like it means "centers" as in 1 unit (inch in this case?) center to center.

Paul

Looking back at my Stuart drawings, I can see that "CRS" most plausibly stands for "Centers" as suggested by PKASTAGEHAND and others. So, for example "1 CRS" means one inch distance between centers. This meaning fits for every Stuart drawing example I could find. Definitely not a material designation as it is applied to brass, cast iron, and steel parts alike.

The answer seems simple now that it's been pointed out. Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to respond.

Richard

Back