Stirling Engine Cylinder Material

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnp101677

Reaction score
I have a set of plans for a stirling engine that calls out aluminum for the hot and cold displacer cylinders. Could I use stainless steel instead. The only reason I want to substitute the material is because I have some extra stainless laying around but, no aluminum that size. I am sure SS is not ideal because of the hardness as far as machining goes but, if it will work I would like to use the material I have. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Dan

Dan,
I have used stainless for the hot ends of two Stirling engines. One a Ringbom called "Tapper" I made the thin walled cylinder from solid bar, twice due to the first being too thin on the end when I parted it off. It worked great. I've used only aluminum for the cold ends.
I hope this helps.
Dave

Stainless is a great material for hot-ends. Displacer cylinders do better the lighter they are, but it's probably not a big deal since you're not making a LTD.

Thanks for the responses. So, it sounds like no one has used SS for the cold displacer but, it should be OK. I am going to upload the two prints that I want to substitute material for. Maybe that will help. I would just really hate to make the cold displacer and then have it not work correctly. Wouldn't be the end of the world I guess but, I'd feel better if someone knew for sure if it would be alright.

Thanks again for your time.

Dan

View attachment Cylinders.zip

Well, I'd certainly use stainless for the hot side, but on the cold side, you want to get rid of heat as fast as possible. Aluminum would do that better.
Still, as long as you're not running a stainless piston in a stainless cylinder, it'll run.

Latest posts

Back