Stern Wheel Steam Plant

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

wingrove

I am looking for plans for a small steam engine and boiler set up to power a model of the Yukon stern wheeler S.S.Klondike. The hull is 30” long 6” wide but only 1” deep. The stern wheel is 2 -3/4” in diameter by 3.5” wide and the piston travel is 1” , maximum speed for the stern wheel, would be about 30rpm with the two pistons located one on each side of the hull. Thanks Gerald

Your not going to find much on the paddleducks forum library. You will need to join and post a number of times until you are allowed into the library. Ask me how I know.

The only set of plans I have found for a stern wheeler are here at Ageless Engines. They sell plans for what is know as a California cutoff valve gear engine that is used on the Mississippi river boat Delta Queen.

Believe me when I say I've done quite a bit of research looking for stern wheeler steam engines. A lot of modelers who are into that type of hobby, paddle boats, either use electric motors or if it is steam powered use a single cylinder steam engine and drive the paddle wheel with gears or belts and pulleys. The steam engine for a boat of your size would not turn at 30 rpms. Now I'm assuming you want to use two pistons on either side just like the real paddle wheeler does?

Bernd

Tell me if I'm way off but why couldn't a vertical steam engine be mounted on the centreline fore and aft with the output driving a worm and worm wheel with a shaft athwartships on which is mounted the beams and cranks to drive the stern wheel. ??? ??? Just curious ::) ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Bob,

You could do that. You'd get the slow rpm you want and lots of power at the wheel. I'm assuming the OP wants to model it like the original. He didn't give any idea of the type of steam plant he wants to use. Another method would be to use two wobblers on either side and gear them down to the wheel. Of course you'll being going through the pitman arm after the gearing.

Bernd

And I suppose it should have 2 connecting rods with the crank being 90º offset otherwise since it's no flywheel there would be no inertia to go past TDC and vice-versa. :-\

Helder

Gerald

30" x 6" x 1" is only 6.5 lbs displacement..
Don't seem much for boiler, engine, boat, fuel etc..
Is it a design that is intended to have a steam engine set up in it ?

Just a thought ..

Dave

I have built the engine design by Ageless Engines. The end result is a fine running engine that will run from about 10 rpm up. Very powerfull engine.

modelbuff said:
I have built the engine design by Ageless Engines. The end result is a fine running engine that will run from about 10 rpm up. Very powerfull engine.
Have you run the engine on steam? With the cylinder dimensions Bore - .875 inch Stroke - 5.125 inch
it looks like it would require a large boiler definitely not one that would fit "30" x 6" x 1" is only 6.5 lbs displacement"
Regards,
Gerald

It would seem to me that with two cylinders and crank throws offset at 90 degrees, if it is a double acting engine, rpm could easily be slowed to 30 RPM or less. Considering that every 90 degrees of crank rotation begins another power pulse, this should be ideal for a slow turning engine. In theory you should be able to turn it at any rpm below it's maximum, by simply adjusting the flow of steam with a valve.
In practical application sometimes very low speeds are difficult to control because of a friction threshold.
I should think Looong stroke and slide valves for a slow turning engine would be best.
Maybe I should make one to test my theory. My brain fart engine has a 3/4" bore and a 1" stroke and can turn fairly slow before the friction factor stops it. I think maybe a one to three ratio would get a very slow capability.

Phelonius

What about Elmer's stern wheeler engine. It may only be representative of the genre, but it would be something to go on. Elmer's engines are always well engineered.

Having written the above, I have looked through my list of Elmer's engines and cannot see it, but I am sure he did model one!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Yes, Elmer built a long stroke engine. I've started to build it. It would not fit in the OP's, boat way to big. Also Elmers engine can't be reversed. It has a tri-lobe cam that runs the the valve.

Bernd

Bernd said:
Yes, Elmer built a long stroke engine. I've started to build it. It would not fit in the OP's, boat way to big. Also Elmers engine can't be reversed. It has a tri-lobe cam that runs the the valve.

Bernd
What would be a good design of reversing gear for a slow turning long stroke two cylinder double acting engine?

Phelonius

I'd be inclined to reverse it at the output end with a set of tumbler gears - a' la what's on the lathe. You could set that up with forward, reverse and a neutral position for pumping purposes.

tel said:
I'd be inclined to reverse it at the output end with a set of tumbler gears - a' la what's on the lathe. You could set that up with forward, reverse and a neutral position for pumping purposes.

Tel,

Now that needs some serious consideration. Very good idea. Thm:

Bernd

wingrove said:
I am looking for plans for a small steam engine and boiler set up to power a model of the Yukon stern wheeler S.S.Klondike. The hull is 30” long 6” wide but only 1” deep. The stern wheel is 2 -3/4” in diameter by 3.5” wide and the piston travel is 1” , maximum speed for the stern wheel, would be about 30rpm with the two pistons located one on each side of the hull. Thanks Gerald

I moved from Whitehorse 2 years ago and have been on the SS Klondike a couple of times. Where are you located if you dont mind saying

Can't help with plans but here is the specs on the SS Klondike

S.S. Klondike II Specifications
Launched : Whitehorse, May 1937
Owner: British Yukon Navigation Co. / White Pass & Yukon Route
Port of Registry: Dawson City, YukonTerritory
Official No.: 156744
Length: 64 m (210')
Width: 12.5 m (419')
Molded Depth: 1.5 m (5.75')
Loaded Draught: 1 m (40 in.)
Light Draught: 6 m (24 in )
Gross Tonnage: 1226.25 tonnes (1362.5 t)
Registered Tonnage: 918.45 tonnes (1020.5 t)
Cargo Capacity: 270 tonnes (approx. 300 t)
Crew: 23 (in 1940)
Passengers: 75 (lst & 2nd class)
Engines: 2 compound jet-condenser type producing 525 H.P.
Boiler: Locomotive type (fire-tube) manufactured at the Polson Iron Works,Toronto, 1901, previously used in Steamer Yukoner & S.S. Klondike #1 (working pressure:129.4 kilograms/sq. cm. - 184 lb /sq. in. )
Cargo: (upstream) Silver-lead ore
(downstream) general cargo (fuel, food)
Travel Time: (Whitehorse-Dawson) approx. 1.5 days
(Dawson-Whitehorse) approx. 4-5 days

from here: http://www.yukoninfo.com/whitehorse/info/ssklondike.htm

Kermit

Latest posts

Back