Steam Whistles and Safety Valves

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gerald,

I have noticed that the Midwest kit doesn't have a safety. Do you think the use of silicone tubing for the steam line was the intent?...to pop off the brass fitting if the pressure gets too high?....

Soft solder? I wouldn't. Silver solder all the way.

Dave

I have built a couple of the Midwest kits, and they are soft soldered and are very low, low pressure. They work well for the engine that comes with boat kits or boilers. Will have to hunt up the build instructions and see what it says.
They don't have a lot of excess fuel capacity or water as it is a fill and run only type.

Can't argue with success!...

PT, did you add a safety or did you leave them as designed?

Dave

steamer said:
Gerald,
I have noticed that the Midwest kit doesn't have a safety. Do you think the use of silicone tubing for the steam line was the intent?...to pop off the brass fitting if the pressure gets too high?....
Soft solder? I wouldn't. Silver solder all the way.
Dave
I think that is there intent. I did find that the fill fitting was threaded on the inside, and the thread matched one of my safety valves (Welisco or Mamod) M6 if I remember with out checking. I also thought that the fitting look familiar but I could not place it, later I was changing a light bulb and realized that the Midwest Boiler fill fitting and probably the safety valve bushing on there Heritage Boiler was a Lamp shade retaining nut. I have since picked up a couple of extra ones at the hardware store.
Regards,
Gerald.

steamer said:
Can't argue with success!...

PT, did you add a safety or did you leave them as designed?

Dave

Left them as they were designed. I will say I have never forced them or I think that if you over fill them with water. That you will have a hard time get steam up with the small scale of the steam space and the fire and fuel you are suppose to use. But as with all things, you could force fire the boiler and it would probably come apart on the bottom side. didn't get a chance to get out into the shop today will take some pics and get the book.
I do agree any other boiler or even that one would be better silver soldered.

And yes they used the lamp fitting as the fill plug, They are cheaper at the big box stores to as the price list for parts I had at one time was steep
glen

Lamp fitting! Cool! ;D

Well I suppose it's low pressure, what the hell.

A friend at work was looking for an engine to build with his son.....I'll mention it to him.

Dave

Ok I can only find the one unbuilt still in the box, and the half built I picked up at a garage sale.
DSC03011.jpg

Prominently on the front of the box
DSC03009.jpg

With the instruction book and foam padding removed
DSC03005.jpg

needs some clean up,and touch up haven't hydro the seams yet
DSC03007.jpg

Looking up the flue there is about 1 ½" from the fire pan to the bottom of the boiler.

Now it does clearly state that you can use 50/50 soft solder. But it does also say that "you can get Stay-brite silver bearing solder and stay bright is a little stronger than 50/50 solder. However either one is adequate to assemble this kit".

3 to 3 ½ ounces of tap water.
Place about 2 teaspoons of STERNO in the fuel cup. There is a caution in bold type that only chafing dish fuel are the only fuel recommended for use in this boiler. And that other fuels may generate to much heat and cause the boiler solder joints to melt.

Boiler is 2"dia and about 2 1/4" long.

Yes it is very low pressure, so much so that if the engine isn't turning. One of the checks is to take off the silicon tubing. If there is a pop sound there is steam in the boiler and to continue in the checking steps! :eek:
glen

They are a great little kit to introduce someone to live steam. It is a shame that Midwest is dropping the model section of there business. They do have a great deal on right now for the Eliot Bay Steam Launch Kit. http://shopmidwestproducts.com/-strse-165/Elliott-Bay-Steam-Launch/Detail.bok
Price: $90.00
List Price: $179.99 Savings: $89.99
I don't see the Heritage kit listed but they still have,
Model VI Steam Engine
Price: $99.99
Regards,
Gerald.

Thanks guys!

I'll check up on the availability....

Dave

Latest posts

Back