steam engine build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian

Very nice and definitely on my list for a next build . Looks like I need a trip to the scrap dealer to find myself a cylinder block

Pete

Ian,

thats very nice work.

How about building a boat which has a twin engine set up. It would be a shame to seperate them as they look so good together.

Nick

Nick,

I think the problem with the twin engined idea is the physical size of the boat required.

One of these engines, coupled to a suitable boiler should easily cope with a 4 to 5 ft long hull, depending on displacement, a twin engine layout would require a 6 to 7 ft hull, or maybe even longer.

One of that size changes all the logistics, a bigger car to carry it in, two man launches, somewhere to store it, etc.

When you go to a larger size, usually loadsa money is involved, and it is that part which can't be hidden from the better half.

Why do we need that great big pickup? Are you sure we need a three car garage? Lifting that is going to murder my back.

At one time, my car choice was based around how large my model boats were, or how many I wanted to transport to the lake.

Then I came to my senses, and made boats that fitted into a smaller car.

Bogs

Bogs,

You have hit the nail right on the head - a boat for these two would be unmanageable for me.

My current boat build is about 4ft long, and will weigh xxx kg (a lot!), as was my last one. That's about as big as one person can realistically manage without trailers and launching trolleys etc. I too need to build boats to fit the car, not buy cars to carry boats!

So, that's why I am now considering a launch type boat for one engine.

The c of g of these engines is quite high, and that will have some bearing on the type of hull it can go in. Most launch types are long and relatively narrow, which may cause stability problems, depending on how low I can get a suitable boiler, plus of course lead ballast.

Ian

Thanks for the heads up John, not being a model boater I didn't realize that it would need to be quite so big as to make it impractical. Actually I have exactly the same sort of issues with my R/C planes hobby.

Sorry Ian scratch the twin idea.

Oh well must dash, I've got to get back to fixing my lawn tractor, today the grass box has fallen apart. The lever that tips the grass box for emptying has broken loose and the top bar of the space frame it attaches to has snapped clean in half so I need to weld it back up and get the grass cutting finished or I'll miss out on my shop time.

Nick

Latest posts

Back