Starter IC engine project?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find out if there is any interest in this project. I was thinking about designing an engine based on this compressor pump. It would be like a transition project into internal combustion. The crankshaft, rod, and piston with rings is already to go. You would still need to make the head with the valves and everything. Camshaft still needs to be made with the lifters and rockers. It would simplify building an engine but still challenge you enough that valuable experience would be had. From here you could move into full builds knowing that you have the skills to make at least half of the engine and concentrate on learning the other skills needed. I was thinking it would cut the stress of building a IC engine in half and get some of the guys who are on the fence to give it a try.

I found this compressor on Ebay for $70 USD. It's not top quality but for as little as the engine would run it would last many years as a model engine. I am going to write the seller and find out if this pump has been around a while and still be available for a while. If so it might be worth doing if there is any interest by model builders.

What do you think.

KGrHqVgsE5tGVC6QUBOrq2l67d60_57.jpg

Also found this one for $99 USD

KGrHqJHJE0FEUv3R8DqBRHiF46UQ60_3.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen both air compressors you show in your post converted to IC gasoline (Coleman Fuel) engines. He used bicycle chain and sprockets to drive a rotatory valve in each head. The valve shaft also had a cam section that activated points for ignition. It's the same system Jan Ridders used in a few of his IC engines. In the case of the V-twin he used points on both heads and dual coils and capacitors (one for each head). He also used Jan Ridders Vapour Carburetor on both engines. He found an old bicycle freewheel and took it apart to get the sprockets he needed. The sprockets used must have a 2:1 ratio such as 14 teeth and 28 teeth. He made adaptors to mount the smaller sprocket on the air compressors crank shaft and the larger sprocket on the valve shaft. Both engines ran very well. I wish I had a camera with me at the time to take pictures of them.

I am trying to find out if there is any interest in this project. I was thinking about designing an engine based on this compressor pump. It would be like a transition project into internal combustion. The crankshaft, rod, and piston with rings is already to go. You would still need to make the head with the valves and everything. Camshaft still needs to be made with the lifters and rockers. It would simplify building an engine but still challenge you enough that valuable experience would be had. From here you could move into full builds knowing that you have the skills to make at least half of the engine and concentrate on learning the other skills needed. I was thinking it would cut the stress of building a IC engine in half and get some of the guys who are on the fence to give it a try.

I found this compressor on Ebay for $70 USD. It's not top quality but for as little as the engine would run it would last many years as a model engine. I am going to write the seller and find out if this pump has been around a while and still be available for a while. If so it might be worth doing if there is any interest by model builders.

What do you think.

KGrHqVgsE5tGVC6QUBOrq2l67d60_57.jpg

Also found this one for $99 USD

KGrHqJHJE0FEUv3R8DqBRHiF46UQ60_3.jpg

that twin any idea how old it is.
what could it cost to send this to Canada:hDe:

Latest posts

Back