Starrett 196 back plunger kit

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lampy

Reaction score
I found this in a pawn shop today, at $40 it seemed like a good deal. I have one question, what is the ball end used for on the end of the rod I have sitting outside the box.
Thanks in advance!

starrett.jpg

Reactions: gus
Rick,
I think that the ball end is just a fancy way to finish the end of the rod. It appears that the threaded end screws into the black clamp and acts as a shaft to attach the dial indicator on using the clamp with the knurled knob. I have a surface gauge where the shaft is finished in a similar manner.

Paul.

That could be, but there is another shorter rod that does not have the ball on the end.

starrett 001.jpg

I still think that this is how Starret finish off the ends. I checked my surface gauge, it's "Eclipse" brand made in England, but the end is the same as the Starret. I will take a picture shortly and post it.

Paul.

Good buy Rick,

I probably would have jumped on it if I didn't already have one. I think Paul is correct; made by a company who took great pride in their products and went the extra mile to make them special. It appears that on yours it also has the color case hardened bar; which is also a nice touch.

On the surface gages the theory it that the ball was use as a place to park the curved end scriber point (under the ball) while not in use. I don't know if this is true or not; but it has been debated on at least one other machinist forum.

Dave

Rick,
I think that the ball end is just a fancy way to finish the end of the rod. It appears that the threaded end screws into the black clamp and acts as a shaft to attach the dial indicator on using the clamp with the knurled knob. I have a surface gauge where the shaft is finished in a similar manner.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Just checked my China Magnetic Dial Stand. Has no fancy ball end.

Bought stand and dial in China from a hardware shop.The price is ridiculous compared to Singapore. Going China again in November with a shopping list.
Hand reamers good and cheap.Tool&Die Maker's Mini Vice too.

Back