Spot welding electrodes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windy

Reaction score
I am making new inner and outer cases for my steam generator from 0.004" 316 annealed stainless for my 2014 flash steamer.

Due to the length of the sheet it has to be extended using lockjoints as a safeguard I spot weld it as the intense heat can distort the lock joint.

My spot welder has no refinements like pulse and timer so you have to be very quick when welding such thin stainless.

As the copper alloy electrodes have a tip diameter of 0.1" they soon have to be reshaped due to the heat.

When I worked in the car body repair business we had a hand held spot welder that used Tungsten electrodes and they would last a long time before reshaping.

I am wondering if a 4mm Tig tungstem with suitable holder could be used instead of the copper alloy ones?

Would pure Tungsten (green) or one of the other types be advisable?

Paul

Morning Paul! When I was into these things, I machined a couple of bits from a scrap copper earthing rod for my spot welder. As you know, they all get fouled up and I simply cleaned and reshaped them to normal with - a flexible body file. I'm a great lad for a high tech solution.

I had, at that time, one of those original Mini Coopers which had the metal moth and the rear skirt was hacked off and I went through three thicknesses of metal to replace it-as new. It's a long run of spots as you will appreciate.

There is another spot welding trick-if you have a Mig/Mag welder. However, I digress

My regards

Norman

Back