Using clinch system to join thin annealed stainless sheet?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windy

Reaction score
I am remaking the steam generator outer and inner cases with insulation between out of 0.004" annealed 316.
I lock joint the seams but with the intense heat on thin stainless it can open up.
A strict weight limit on my class of flash steam hydroplane has to be considered so rivets, bolts etc are not used.
I have an old spot welder but on 0.004" stainless it can burn through.
Has any one tried this system?
http://www.clinchsystems.com/process/technical-infos.html
If the stainless foil is ductile enough I thought of making some dies to try the clinch system to hold the lock jointed seam together.
Any suggestions on the dies or some other form of fastening device.

Paul

Hi yes I did use this clinching for aluminium garage door
works fine
it works so well that to take it apart your material are ruined

Do you need an inner shell ? I came across a ceramic paste that can bond to metal components , and then harden into a high temperature insulating film.
Can't remember the name but the manufacturer sends me emails quite often so I guess I could find out.

Thanks abby.
Problem is weight my nephew suggested a similar product?
He developed for steel fire protection but said it's heavy.
Another possible problem unless flexible it could crack as there is a lot of movement i.e. expansion and vibration plus if the hydro submerges at high speed the instant cooling in the water might shock load it.
A not uncommon experience as one of my video’s show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvsT-7i-hZI
The underwater antics are not always as dramatic as a bad launch can turn it in to a submarine.

Paul

ceramic fibre tube might be another option , it is light and would not be damaged by shock.
It is available in a wide range of sizes and can be easily cut . It is not physically strong but is an insulating refractory and will handle steel melting temperatures.

The ceramic tube sounds interesting who supplies it in the UK?
If suitable could solve a few problems.

Paul

Latest posts

Back