Sponge

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutley

Reaction score
Hello all :bow:

New to the forum, i have been on here for a few days now soaking up as much information as possible ;D

I have been wanting to get into this hobby for some time, but other stuff got in the way, i am in the process of choosing a lathe and mill, not looking for anything huge as it will be mainly hand size pieces that i will be making for model boats, rc cars and after looking on this site, i would like to build one of those flame sucker engines and progress up to a beam engine, but all in good time ;)

I have little to no experience in this environment, but I am looking forward to the near vertical learning curve ???

Mutley,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

WELCOME :bow:
you have found the right place these guys "N" gals are great :bow:

Welcome Jon,
Now that you are here, may I be the first to offer some unsolicited advice.

A flame sucker engine is one of the most difficult engines to get running. The fit of the parts has to be very good, and even then they can be very fussy to make run. Not that a novice can not build and make one run, but it can be very frustrating if it is your first engine.

I would suggest that you start with a steam/compressed air engine first. Get one or two of those running first to get a feel for your tools and to develop your model engine machining abilities. They are the easiest to make run and will really get you hooked.

Gail in NM,USA

Welcome to the asylum, Jon. This is a generally jolly group that has banded together for mutual protection against the fantastically ferocious Fluffy Bunnies known to inhabit these parts. They also like to give away information to any and all who ask, and do occasional show and tells about the latest creations. If you've questions or comments, this is the place for them. The experts (That's everyone else - I just hide here so They won't catch me) are pretty good at being experts and like to share what they know.

Have fun and enjoy.

Best regards,

Kludge

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Just goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover, the flame sucker looked like a simple engine, i will give one of the compressed air engines ago, looking forward to it.

when i finally make a start i will keep you posted.

Even a simple steam engine model from barstock will give you plenty to fret about for your first engine.

Depending on your ambition, too, you can keep it simple --- just get it run --- or pay attention to detail and turn it into a showpiece. For my first engine, I got it to run...then, when I knew what I was doing, went back and made it run well and look pretty.

Mutley said:
Hello all :bow:

i am in the process of choosing a lathe and mill, not looking for anything huge as it will be mainly hand size pieces

As you look for a lathe and mill, I would look for quality and price and not worry about size as long as it is big enough. (as long as you have room for them)

There is a professional shop near me that specializes in small parts and always has. Most of there products could be shipped inside a bottel cap if there was enough packing to keep them from sliding around in all that space. All there equipment is full size like you would see in any shop.

In other words, big machines have no problem making small parts and often you can buy a used big machine for less money.

Frank

Back