Spark erosion tap extractor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice video, thank you for posting that.

I built a simple EDM like that using a solenoid from an automobile starter, the kind with a separate solenoid not right on the starter. It works, at least to the point where it makes consistent sparks, but I need to set up a pump system apparently. Right now it just makes big jagged holes, not accurate enough for any real purpose.

I thought my problem was that the guide for the movable part allows too much slop, but in that video the tubing is just some plastic pipe and doesn't seem to rely on an accurate guide. I think I need to revisit my hacked together ugly attempt after seeing such a simple design work.

Mine uses a couple of those tubular halogen light bulbs as a giant resistor in case the tip welds to the material being cut. I am using a big transformer, giant capacitors and a rectifier. A car battery would be simpler and better. I wonder if SWMBO would notice a battery missing from her car?

Lee

Latest posts

Back