Sows ear

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, a BFH is a necessity in every computer/geek's tool kit, they're great for the car, boat, shop, kitchen, just about anywhere normal thinking and patience doesn't work. Your "sow's ear" is turning out to be a great build so far. Good luck getting your modem issues sorted, we all anxiously await seeing more progress soon.

BC1
Jim

Hi Jim
The network jack has issues and the case was made not to come apart,but I found without it and if I held my breath the modem works ;D
How did u know I used a hammer lol.
I should be able to make some progress this weekend as I scored some offcuts from a local engineering firm for the flywheels and piston
Pete

I wonder if that modem would double up as an ignition module? Rof}

Lookin' good (and eerily familiar) Pete.

Hi Tel
maybe this weekend i might do the con rod
I had a evil idea sneak up on me about the piston
maybe I can make a brass cage to sit inside the piston for the con rod to run in?
either that or I could just make it properly in the first place ;D
Im too cheap to let go of the old one too easly :big:
Pete

;D I have seen 'em done with a screwed plug with a single tab hanging down, means you have to make a con rod with a forked little end tho'.

If memory serves I did the piston in a boiler feed pump like that one time.

Hi all I got a little bit done over the weekend
Ive got one flywheel about half way done and the con rod started too
No pic for flywheel as yet.
Pete

View attachment SANY1401.JPG

Hi Pete, Looks like your Kerzel is coming along nicely. I'm anxious to see it completed and running. I do like IC engines the most, probably the noise and the smell is what attracts me. Keep up the good work and good luck. Dave

Thanks Dave
Your work is an inspiration :bow:
Pete

The con rod is just about complete,It just needs the big end drilled and bearings made
and I had a play with the water undercut ,the one for the liner bore was done in the 4jaw

Ok
I made the big end bearing shells and installed the rod (no piston or small end bearing yet)
and I gotta say it took a lot longer than I thought to ream and polish the shells to fit.
Pete.

View attachment rod in.JPG

Really starting to look the part now!

Thanks Tel
For some reason or other I had to mill out under the crank a bit more then the .125 on the plans
possably cos I used oversize cap bolts (coming up with a size that I had both drill and tap for and i could get the bolt gave me a bit of a headache !!)
Pete.

ok
got a little bit more done
small end bearings are installed and after I drilled the oilier holes in the big end caps I had a rethink about the flat tops I had.
I have decided to locktight studs into the bearing holders for durability,and modified the caps a bit.
I also did a little more on the first flywheel (I hate CI ) The new ringless piston is cast and only falls out of the hole once u take your thumb away.
Pete

View attachment bearing cap.JPG

Hi all
not long ago Tel offered to send me the gears for my build.
After spending so much money on shed stuff,I said "Yes please" (that particular learning curve will have to wait for another day LOL)
Anyway when Tel says something, he really means it,cos today a little box turns up with not only the gears but also a spark plug and little glass bottles for oilers etc.
I had a look at his gears guys and they are real REAL nice,and as far as giving the new guy a leg up
I just gotta say mate
Thank you !!
;D

My pleasure mate.

The PO didn't muck around getting them to you - they were only posted Thursday!

Hi Tel
fast camels down your way :big:
recon ill make up the shaft for the cam gear tomorrow
and get this thing looking like a motor ;D
Pete

Onya! Tel, Thm: Way to go! or however it is said from whatever corner of the globe one hangs his hat in. Donating to this young builders project like that is the type of gesture that shows real character in an individual, not to mention the willingness to help another member out in order to achieve that member's final success. BRAVO! And Pete, you are doing a terrific job there on this project. I admire the way that you machined the lands for the bearing oilers, a nice touch. Tell us, are you going to make up the ignition points as D. Kerzel outlines in the original drawings or go with something more modern like a Hall effect setup or conventional automotive points? Continue on, so far so good.

BC1
Jim

Hi Jim
Thanks very much for the compliment, its a great push along to hear other like minded people out there,enjoy my build. I very nearly did not post it at all,as a few Kerzels are being posted at the moment, but if we did not build something cos someone else has done it ,then not much would get done at all.
As far as ignition system
ummmmmmmm well at the moment that old set of mopar points out in the shed is looking very good
and I can not say I really like the idea of having the exhaust and the ignition on the same cam.I may need more flexibility with the tuning then that.
Pete :)

Pete--My thinking was the same as yours regarding the valve and ignition cam all rolled into one. And when I began to try and get my engine tuned to run I found that you really NEED the ability to adjust the spark timing independent of the valve timing. My cam is fitted on the crankshaft, so I get a spark on the exhaust stroke as well as on the compression stroke, but that "wasted spark" doesn't hurt anything---it sparks but there is nothing to burn. I know that Tel put in a second set of gears to run his ignition cam at half the crankshaft speed, but its really not needed. Both my Kerzel and my Webster have the ignition cam on the crankshaft and they run fine.---Brian

Hi Brian
I'm thinking along the same lines as i used in my Webster too.
It runs ok, but it is a lot more basic build then the kerzel and you got yours to "miss" with the wasted spark cam so it should be fine I guess.
have you settled on another build yet mate?
My kerzel started as just a fun crank on a rainy day ,but there is no turning back now. lol
Pete :)

Back