SOS SOS First timer using gear hob.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alrighty. Got over the goofy stretch of hobbing 48 Pitch Gears.

One reject to redo and the tail shaft 16T gear to cut and I am done with thw timing gears for Howell V-2 Engine. Paul's Gear Hob stood up to all unfair treatment. The gear case will be mind boggling. The centre distance between gears will be done using a tram. Gear mesh gap will be judged by eye ball. Gear hobbing using direct indexing is best and fast over the conventional method using Indexing plate and DH. With direct indexing there no need to count holes. Direct index plate rules out indexing error which may produce 1/2 tooth .

IMG_4553.jpg

Last edited:
Gear Hob made by a Master Tool&Due Maker will last forever. Model 0.5 and 0.6 from CTC is about to arrive. I was about to give up on poor skills at gear hobbing. Its obvious I was treating the hob like a Involute gear cutter and getting bad results. Taking my sweet time to finish up some remnant work. The V-2 seems to have an endless list.

Gear Hob packed shop and the 16T pinion gear is short of the 45 thou tooth height. No worry . Hob is usable if I move up or down 2 digits to use the other cutting teeth. The tooth profile of pinion resembled E.T. Fingers. The worned cutting tooths on the hob can be seen.

IMG_4560.jpg

IMG_4569.jpg

Back