Software in the cloud

Discussion in 'Software and Programming' started by Gordon, Feb 10, 2020.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Feb 14, 2020 #41

Cogsy

Cogsy

Cogsy

Well-Known Member Staff Member Global Moderator

I have an Office365 subscription through my university. I believe what they are talking about in your link is cloud-only files (like collaborative documents, etc.). Personally, I almost never use collaborative or purely cloud-based documents at all, unless I absolutely have to (and even then it's usually through Google Drive). All my 'normal' work in all the Office applications is saved to local drives just like they always were and can be accessed without modification by OpenOffice, LibreOffice, etc. So even if my subscription were to lapse without my knowledge I wouldn't lose a single file. I do need to be more proactive in backing my files up to the cloud though (just some server space at my uni really) as my current back-up regime keeps 2 copies on different physical devices that are located in the same building which is not a good idea for fire and physical theft protection.

2. Feb 14, 2020 #42

fvwilkinson

fvwilkinson

fvwilkinson

I have another outlook on all of this constant updating etc. Looking at the GREEN element which everyone is getting verbal about now days, this constant change and replace environment we are living in as against our past when things lasted forever is using earth resources i.e. the verbiage on carbon issues etc.

I still argue that running an old Morris 10 with its inefficient engine and rebuilding / repairing the parts for 300 000 miles or more vs modern vehicle with all the plastic and electronics which have no spares available in 5 or 6 years and gets replaced in 60 000 miles or 3 years could still be a better carbon emission / resource usage choice.

3. Feb 14, 2020 #43

rodw

rodw

rodw

Personally, I think the cloud rules. I love it. My most used device is a Chromebook and all my documents and spreadsheets are in the cloud with Google Gsuite which I have used for over 10 years, and I work every day from 3-4 devices. My accounting system is a licensed supported version of opensource and I've probably spent over $50k on a web site in the cloud somewhere that runs on an opensource application.. I have broken way from cloud based application service providers and our servers are on Amazon Web services. I never ever write a document or spreadsheet using a local application. They are in the gsuite cloud and we are always collaborating with consultants, remote workers and contractors. In fact, I have one copywriter who refuses to use Gsuite and I will never engage him again. its cost me hours of my time managing his mess so I can present it to other collaborators who have embraced the cloud.

My website is fully integrated with our accounting system, freight systems, email marketing systems.

The only local applications I use are for CAD and image processing. If I was serious about designing products for sale, I would be using cloud based OnShape and pay the $150 a month. Which is wayyy cheaper than Inventor or Solidworks.

4. Feb 14, 2020 #44

goldstar31

goldstar31

goldstar31

Haggis Breeder
    Of course we are moving completely away from the concept of being a 'hobby' forum , financed by what remains of our net disposable income and getting to- I think that the words are 'a witting or unwitting' advertising situation for products which may well be satisfactory but are being obtained at a discount which many of us are not able to avail ourselves of.
    It suggests the famous or infamous situation of Ignatius Loyola in the Middle ages about catching would be adherents at a very impressionable age or situation.

Exits constantly repeating ' Myford, Myford' or even better 'GSK, GSK' or another International Firm where I am a shareholder. o_O

My views, of course

Norman:D

5. Feb 14, 2020 #45

rodw

rodw

rodw

Not really, the business started as a hobby and then took over my life. The sad part was the hobby was funding my machine shop in preparation for retirement but a redundancy spoiled the best laid plans. A paid subscription to Google gsuite will follow me into retirement and beyond. Its just that good! I don't really know when that will be any more now I've established a very serious business in my 60's....

6. Feb 14, 2020 #46

goldstar31

goldstar31

goldstar31

Haggis Breeder
    The greatest mistake I made was to retire completely at the age of 55. I should have retired much earlier. :)
    So my pension checks and dividends have arrived for the last 35 years. What system the senders use I haven't the faintest idea- nor care one jot iota or tittle.
    I bought a two penny packet of seeds at the age of 14 from a period of no education in a depressed mining area of wartime Britain where there was no education save the brainwashing endemic to a Communist( oh they were) County Council . I have no idea how I dodged it- possibly being being dyslexic or inattentive helped.
    Again, I am so deaf and blind that I'm impervious or something.
    All that I really know is being able to go to my bank without a care in the World;)
    Apart from getting money out, I also get the odd hug and kiss from the lady members of the bank staff.
    Lucky old me:D

BaronJ likes this.
  7. Feb 14, 2020 #47

Gordon

Gordon

Gordon

It all comes down to your situation. At $1/year everyone signs up. At $200/year 50% sign up. At $2000/year only 1% sign up. Again it depends on what your use is. If I only have to get myself to work I can buy a Kia. If you move one ton parts you will buy a big truck. If my income is $20,000/year I cannot afford the big truck so I have to find a job which does not require moving one ton parts. If my cad is used for my hobby I am not willing to pay $500/year. If your job is designing parts for General Motors you may have no choice but to pay $500/year as long as your income justifies that expense.

BaronJ and awake like this.
  8. Feb 14, 2020 #48

Cogsy

Cogsy

Cogsy

If the Morris 10 didn't need replacement parts all the time, then it might make some sense to keep it instead of upgrading (purely from an energy/emissions standpoint). However, my second car is a 2005 Ford Falcon sedan with nearly half a million km on the clock and is still on the original engine, transmission and diff without any sign of needing attention anytime soon, and it doesn't have a spot of rust. If you got 60,000 miles out of a Morris 10 without an engine rebuild you probably did well and I'd much prefer to be in my Falcon than your Morris if I'm unfortunate enough to be involved in a crash. I wonder how many original parts are still in use on a daily driven Morris 10 these days (I'm guessing virtually the entire car has been replaced several times by now, one part at a time).

It's another good argument for upgrading though - my Falcon likely uses less fuel, definitely has more power, better suspension, brakes and steering, is more comfortable and vastly more reliable than the Morris. On paper they do the same job but they're very different machines.

9. Feb 14, 2020 #49

Cogsy

Cogsy

Cogsy

I agree with you - your budget certainly dictates what you use. I can afford (just) Matlab so I use it but I cannot afford a license for COMSOL (starts at $4K USD), so I can only use it on the lab computers, even though it'd be way more useful on my laptop.

But I don't really get what you're asking for here. You can't justify spending big money on something like Solidworks (me either) but you don't want to use the free software because it might not be free forever? Mostly, developers of powerful software want to get rewarded for their efforts and they will try to get us to pay somehow. Fusion may well be paid only in the future but that could happen to any software (even the Linux based stuff).

BaronJ likes this.
  10. Feb 14, 2020 #50

goldstar31

goldstar31

goldstar31

Haggis Breeder
    I suspect that I'm the only person here that has actually not only owned but passed their driving test on a 1935 Morris 8, The only thing that I would have liked to have had was the Cherished number plate which was CBB367. Of course Cogsy is right about the 'life of one', Mine cost the princely sum of £50 and with no heating, a 6 volt circuit and one windscreen wiper it was real modern piece of technology. It had one thing in its favour, it had a rear pull down blind to avoid being blinded by 6 volt lighting from the Knight of Darkness-- Joseph Lucas but one could chalk on the blind these immoral words---

Don't laugh, your daughter may be inside:mad:

BaronJ likes this.
  11. Feb 14, 2020 #51

awake

awake

awake

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Educator
    I'd say Gordon has captured the clear conclusion from the discussion above: it depends. :) Or to say it another way, different solutions will work best for different people / different situations. If you are happy with what you are using, why change? If you are not happy with what you are using, for whatever reason (capabilities or concerns about future access), then the discussion above may offer some possibilities to explore.

W-e-l-l ... note that FOSS (Linux based or other) is generally controlled by one or another of the GPL or similar licenses. Yeah, I know - there are some subtle but important differences between GPL, LGPL, and so on ... and beyond that, who ever reads the license before clicking "okay" to install the software anyway? :) But here's the point: FOSS software has not simply been released for no charge, nor has it been released with no license (leaving open the possibility that someone might claim it down the road and shut off access); it has been released with a very specific license controlling whether and/or how it can be commercialized, and even if it can be commercialized, stipulating that the original version MUST remain free and open-source. (IF the license allows it, someone might modify / build on the FOSS to produce a commercial product that is not free of charge ... but the underlying FOSS software will remain free and open source.)

So, a very different situation from something like Fusion360, which is not open source. IIRC, the license for F360 allows the use of the product free of charge for non-commercial users for a period of one year; it does not guarantee anything beyond that. Thus far, they have continued to allow one-year-at-a-time renewals, but they really can change that at any time - whereas that is not possible for FOSS. (Okay, anything is possible - but if someone attempted to claim exclusive ownership of a piece of FOSS and start charging for it, I suspect they would lose big in court!)

Let me hasten to say: I am not knocking Fusion360. On the contrary, much of what I have seen suggests that Fusion360 sets the gold standard for 3d CAD. Whether that is true - whether, for example, it is better or worse than Solidworks - there is no doubt that Fusion360 is more capable than the FreeCAD that I use. But for my purposes, FreeCAD is more than sufficient, and I prefer the FOSS philosophy, so for me, it is the right choice. For someone else, the free-use Fusion360 may very likely be the best choice. And for someone who makes his/her living this way, I would think that a paid subscription for Fusion360 or Solidworks or some such would be the right choice.

BaronJ likes this.
  12. Feb 14, 2020 #52

comstock-friend

comstock-friend

comstock-friend

Retired
    Not of interest to John the hobbyist but of great concern to John the engineer was that our product was nuclear safe guard equipment and the US Government required all documents under direct control, lock and key. We could not place their drawings in the cloud. Without direct machine to machine keyed encryption we could not send emails and had to send via snail mail in Russia doll fashion of envelope within envelope with dire warnings about handling in each subsequent envelope. And this was only Nuclear Sensitive, not Secret or Top Secret...

John (a so far happy Fusion 360 user)

13. Feb 14, 2020 #53

Gordon

Gordon

Gordon

14. Feb 14, 2020 #54

awake

awake

awake

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Educator
    Gordon, you are quite right - though part of your frustration appears to be endemic to all of the 3d CAD programs (tutorials that are out of date for the latest version), another part is that FreeCAD is very much an international project, so the tutorials are in a variety of languages - an advantage for those who speak those languages, of course!

If you haven't found the page below, this is a good place to start:

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/User_hub

Draft saved Draft deleted