Solidworks CAD

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I am a U.S. veteran. That being said I get Solidworks student/veterans version (full) for $20.00 U.S. It is a yearly subscription. Last year everything went fine but this year I submitted the paper work and in a short time got the 2023 CD's. I loaded the program on to my dedicated computer (i don't use it for the internet) and that went fine. When I tried to open the program is said I needed a key code and instructed me how to obtain it. I followed the instructions and shortly after I received and email telling me that my serial number wasn't eligible for a key code. I contacted them by email and was given an incident number with the instructions that someone would get back with me. Therein lies the problem. No one has gotten back to me in over 2 weeks. Has anyone else had this problem. You can't contact them by phone because the reply is that student and veterans programs aren't supported so you can't talk to anyone.
gbritnell

When I contacted Solidworks a few years ago asking about the student version, they were amazingly good. I live in the UK and couldn't download the software, so Solidworks sent me the DVDs. I contacted them just before the yearly licence was to expire to inform them that I wouldn't be applying for renewal and what did they want me to do with the DVDs. They replied that I should destroy them. I never got round to doing that and I still have them. The point of my post is that I did email a Solidworks person with no problem. I would send them an email anyway.
This was the address I sent emails to.
customercenterSR@solidworks

It might vary by country & take this more as forum chatter, but my understanding was they are slowly converting all of the discounted versions (Student, Military, EAA...) to the same SW Maker format. Having said that, I have heard different variations to that theme from both college students & hobbyists I have encountered, so the only way to know for sure is contact the SW reseller. Whether DVD or download, the program executables are of no use without the appropriate SR# from Mothership to confirm license seat.

I occasionally have a looksee at Maker because its been a bit of convoluted rollout IMO. But there are some fine print items to digest & apply to your needs. Again don't quote me on these details but I think:
- basically functions like SW basic, plus a few other tools like 3D Sculptor you don't currently get in regular Basic which is odd
- they disconnect many export file formats that would normally allow you produce CNC readable formats. I think that is their hard stop method of ensuring you really are not using for business, at least from that perspective. Not sure about 3DP formats
- drawings are watermarked but otherwise are the same functionality
- cloud storage isn't as onerous as other CAD programs where it has to be only on cloud and/or openly shareable to others (but allows that optionality). I think it an still reside on your own drive but the cloud/save is their way of embedding something that basically says its a 'maker' file. So presumably if you terminate subscription, file is no longer readable. At least that was how it was explained to me.

If anyone has this version I'd like to hear corroboration, but maybe that's outside the scope of original OP question

https://www.solidworks.com/solution/3dexperience-solidworks-makers

I am a U.S. veteran. That being said I get Solidworks student/veterans version (full) for $20.00 U.S. It is a yearly subscription. Last year everything went fine but this year I submitted the paper work and in a short time got the 2023 CD's. I loaded the program on to my dedicated computer (i don't use it for the internet) and that went fine. When I tried to open the program is said I needed a key code and instructed me how to obtain it. I followed the instructions and shortly after I received and email telling me that my serial number wasn't eligible for a key code. I contacted them by email and was given an incident number with the instructions that someone would get back with me. Therein lies the problem. No one has gotten back to me in over 2 weeks. Has anyone else had this problem. You can't contact them by phone because the reply is that student and veterans programs aren't supported so you can't talk to anyone.
gbritnell
Not sure what the problem is with your solidworks Veterans version but, I know of several other people that got their version. Did you send them a valid DD214 form?

I received the DVD's for the 2023 version after submitting the proper documentation but the email response said that the serial number wasn't valid

George:

I'd keep after them, these guys are kinda like Microsoft - they don't call you, you have to call them. And if you don't get the answer you're looking for, ask to talk to their supervisor.

If you don't get satisfaction right away, keep calling them. You're not asking a silly question about how to use their product, you're asking why the software that you purchased from them doesn't work.

Don

Latest posts

Back