Smithers Build of Brian Rupnow's IC Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithers

Reaction score
Well..... here we go, got a lump of 203mm X 140mm X 65mm offcut of 6061-T6 Al from my local steel supplier. Few pieces to carve out of it on the bandsaw tomorrow for the base, both side plates, cylinder head and bearing caps. That will do to start with. Hey Brian , in your reply to my first post in your thread, yes, this is my first engine, but been a machinist for the last 33 years so I think I'll get thru it alright...

Really admire your drawings and design

Andrew

IMG_0987.jpg

Hi Paul, yes that's the plan, M4 for #8 & M5 for #10, can't believe how hard it is to find imperial 1606-2RS bearings ex-stock here in Tasmania, can get them from mainland Australia for $15 - $20 per bearing, bit over the top, have to shop around over the next couple of days. Andrew

May be easier to change to 10mm shafts if metric bearings are easier to get hold of.

You can buy ten 10x22x8 for $10 US

J

Last edited:
Hi Jason, thanks for the reply, just looking at that now, just wanted to keep faithful to Brian's original design, but it is an option.

6000 bearings are 10mm ID X 26mm OD X 8mm wide which is a little closer than 16100 @ 10mm ID X 28mm OD X 8mm.

I'll decide after a bit more googling lol, see what ebay has to offer

Andrew

Hi again Jason, Just read your post again, I can't find 10mm ID X 22mm OD in my bearing books, have you got a number?

Andrew

Hi Paul, yes that's the plan, M4 for #8 & M5 for #10, can't believe how hard it is to find imperial 1606-2RS bearings ex-stock here in Tasmania, can get them from mainland Australia for $15 - $20 per bearing, bit over the top, have to shop around over the next couple of days. Andrew
Hi Smithers, welcome in the Brian's building group:)
Their is 2 quality of the 1606-2rs the costly one what the guy quote you
and the cheap one 3.26 a pieces, maybe he should get you those instead
I'll be following

Hi Luc, maybe I should explain myself a bit more... I buy bearings each week as a production manager at an engineering workshop here in Tasmania for various jobs we do and for machinery breakdowns, I was just a bit shocked at the price of such a small standard deep groove ball bearing compared to standard metric sizes of much larger "name brand" size. Yes, I'm with you Luc, will always buy the "better" brands rather than Chinese bearings.

Andrew

Hi again Jason, Just read your post again, I can't find 10mm ID X 22mm OD in my bearing books, have you got a number?

Andrew

Andrew - The SKF part number for a 10x22 is 61900. Have fun with your build, I'm hoping to start on this engine again soon, once I fix my lathe :(

Hi Smithers. Very glad to see you posting. All the best of luck and success to you, and may you have fun building this engine.---Brian Rupnow

Cogsy thats a 6mm wide bearing brian specs 5/16" so the 8mm is closer though its unlikely to matter either way

Andrew, seeing that the project is based on purchasing the 2 bearings, I would decide what bearing is readily available and work everything else off that. All other sizes for machining can be worked around this, 3/8" or 10mm shaft will not be a problem, so long as other parts that fit are changed to suit.

Paul.

I used 3/8" plate for the sideplates because it is readily available in Canada. I chose a 5/16" wide bearing because that would have been a good fit in the plate and still leave a 1/16" thick wall when bored from one side. The shaft should be 10mm at a minimum, because these flywheels are quite heavy.---Brian

Thanks for all the input guys, as the 1606 bearings were too costly and had to be freighted, I decided on ex stock "6000" bearings (10mm X 26mm X 8mm wide). I know OD is around 3mm bigger but don't really see an issue. Got them for $5.00 AUD per piece, quality Nachi ones.

No time to get on the bandsaw today to carve up the aluminium block for first few pieces, hopefully tomorrow.

Andrew

I managed to carve up the block of aluminium into some pieces off the bandsaw at work today, roll on the weekend, time to make some swarf. ;D

Andrew

IMG_0988.jpg

Quiet afternoon at work, so why not make a start on the base. Sorry no machining pics, just 16 mm thick material, held in a vice by 2mm, profiled, drilled, countersunk and tapped then flipped over and faced to 0.500" thickness, all done cnc

1 down.....heaps to go, how may parts are there Brian?

Crappy weather here, if its no good tomorrow I'll go to work and profile both side plates by cnc, maybe even the cylinder head, then onto a deckel FP2 for all the other holes/threads that I cant do in the profiling operation.

I am thinking of putting the base, side plates & cylinder head on a jig borer to accurately locate the dowel holes for alignment, plan is to have dowels a size for size fit in the base and a sliding fit in the side plates, whilst have a size for size fit in the cylinder head for a sliding fit in the side plates. In my head I am thinking of assembling the side plates & cylinder head, then placing that assembly on the base.

Hope you like the pics.

Andrew

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

Lovely work Andrew. I think in total there are about 72 parts, but that's counting gears, carb parts, valves,--everything.---Brian

Thanks Brian.... 71 to go then, hopefully 68 after the weekend. By the way, I am going to do the water cooled version.

Andrew

Andrew,

Great cnc work ... looking good!;)

What CAD CAM are you using?

I'm very interested on how you mill the bearing holes

Looking forward to your progress, I'm getting closer to starting.

Pat H.

Back