Building a Webster as a first IC engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undersize

Reaction score
Following on from my question which first engine? it became clear the Webster would be a good choice.
I am only just past the planning stage with some machining completed.
Cylinder machined and bored needs honing.
Cylinder head frame machined some drilling needed.
Side frame material machined to thickness (from 12mm)
Crankshaft support material machined to thickness (from 12mm)
Carburetor purchased
Piston rings purchased
Spark plug purchased.
OK not a whole lot completed yet but the Webster is in the making.
I would like to make the crankshaft in one piece turning between centers including in the design the balance web as Brian Rupnow designed for his.
CRANKTHROW001.jpg
What spec material would you use I have a Dia 2" X 12" long piece of EN24T what are your thoughts on using this material?

hi Undersize

i made my crank from 40mm 316 stainless bar and 8mm 316 stainless for the shaft i made the shaft aprox 30mm longer and cut it to final length after i had fitted the points and ignition cam

10.JPG

hi Undersize

i made my crank from 40mm 316 stainless bar and 8mm 316 stainless for the shaft i made the shaft aprox 30mm longer and cut it to final length after i had fitted the points and ignition cam

ZebDog Thank you for the reply,
Making the crank from three parts makes me nervous I feel that I would not be able to achieve a crank that runs true or not sturdy and would compromise the engine.
I do believe that machining from solid is not without its drawback but would like to give it a try.
My question now is should I ditch the EN24T in favor of stainless steel as the crank material?
I do have a piece of 303 stainless steel I could make it out of.

Undersize i used stainless just because i had it at hand at the time i see no reason why en24t can not be used

hi Undersize

ZebDog, how did you join the 2 together? locktite, press fit, pinned etc? that looks like a 1 piece cut I cant even see the seam on the end.

stainless cant be silver brazed right? but the steel undersize is using can be I believe.

werowance you can be silver solder stainless ive done it on the webster valves and on the hot cap of 3 stirling engines

on the webster crank i faced of the crank shaft centre drilled and drilled 3.2 x 15mm deep then taped m4 i then turned the crank web and run a m4 die down the stem and parted off i used the green 638 loctite and firmly screwed the 2 parts together i used the same technique for the crank pin this was about 4 years ago with several hours running and it still holding firm today i hope this makes some sence

View attachment Webster Crank.bmp

Latest posts

Back