Small bench top band saw recommendation

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackG

Reaction score
I’m looking for a fairly good quality small bench top band saw (for wood). I’ve looked at both the Skil and Ryobi 9” saws and was very unimpressed with the quality. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I need a small saw because I don’t have a lot of room in my garage.

Thanks,

Jack

I purchased one of these really inexpensive bench top band saws from HF and I've been really surprised with the performance. I did scrap the junk blade it came with and ordered some really good custom made blades from M.K.Morse (via Victor Machinery).

I use it for both wood and light metal. I keep it meticulosly well cleaned - a quick shopvac after each use. It cuts well and true and it's really easy to adjust. Only downside so far is the crappy fence and the table could be sturdier. But for $100 (it was on special) and another $50 invested in quality blades, I'm very pleased.

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-benchtop-bandsaw-96980.html

https://www.victornet.com/bandsaw.html

Jack,

Don't worry too much, I have been using a Black & Decker 12" hobby bandsaw for the last 25 years or so, and a bit of work fitting roller blade guides has turned it into an amazing little machine.

If you are going to be using it for cutting any type of metal, you need to get one, if possible, with variable speed or even a two speed one should cope. Metal cutting likes to go a bit slower than wood cutting.

Mine was designed to take either a 1/4" or 3/8" blade, but with top and bottom roller guides, it has run 1/2" blades for most of it's life.
Good quality bimetal blades are the ones to go for, I get mine made up specially because it uses such a short blade, but it now cuts all metals, including stainless, with ease, and if I am still around, it should give another 25 years of service.

John

Back