slitting saw explosion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzetati

Reaction score
When it grabbed the workpiece, it literally exploded in all directions.

SlittingSaws_IMG_2036.jpg

Glad I had fitted a protection shield to the mill, a few days ago.

ViceClampsIMG_1985.jpg

Marcello

Glad your OK...you are OK right?

???

I had a endmill blow up on a very light cut once.....it was completely unexpected!

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm OK, thank You: I was on the safe side of the shiled, and nobody else was in the shop (as usual).
I was on the final passages into slitting that block to make a guide for the subsequent hacksaw work:depth of cut was 1mm at each passage, moving the table against the teeth and using cutting fluids : when changing the direction of feed from X to Y, I went in a little deeper on the corner and touched the narrow slit with the central part of the saw, which was thicker than the blade.
Marcello

Hi Marcello,
My condolences, but just how fast was your saw turning?
Ned

Ned Ludd said:
but just how fast was your saw turning?
Ned

Hi Ned,

not sure about the speed, but definitely not fast: maybe too slow.
I have ideas torque can be as dangerous as speed in such machines, when the tool clogs and comes to a stop: years ago I had a 6.5mm milling bit snapping and bulleting into the wall fractions of a second after I has seen it stopping.

Marcello

BrokenMill_IMG_0696.jpg

1/2 endmill....,06 depth of cut in aluminum. 2 flute, may 3" /minute feed rate...not agressive.

BANG!

The brozen end sailed down the isle between three machinists..two on the right and 1 on the left...and hit the wall about 20 feet away! I don't think I could have thrown it that well!

We still to this day don't know why that happened..we think maybe the carbide endmill had a crack in it

WEAR THE GLASSES!

Dave

Okay. I get it. Just ordered a locline safety shield from Enco. Thanks

Latest posts

Back