Six inch machinist rules

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kermit said:
You don't suppose that all my books are wrong, are they? After all, it is written in steel.

Nope - that only applies if it's SET IN CONCRETE
smiley-think004.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Okay, now that I've figured out we're not talking about rules for machinists who are all of 6" tall or only use 6" lathes (I did mention being a bit slow, right?) ...

The ones with the pocket clips are cool for quick 'n dirty depth gauges too. They don't have the accuracy real ones do but they're good for "in the neighborhood" measurements. And if one uses pocket protectors they are good for bonus points in geekitude.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Shadow said:
I cut a spare one just beyond 3" (round the end to look official and helps prevent snagging) and put it in my billfold. Comes in handy at the hardware store when you find something about the right size but want to make sure.

I had about 2" of one left over when I chopped one up for the scales on my ball turner tool heads - that bit lives on my key ring

A one inch chunk fitted with a handle about six inches long makes a good tool for making measurements inside cavities, etc. where a conventional scale or calipers will not fit. Fit the handle with a clamp affair to hold the scale chunk and you can angle the scale or use other widths salvaged from the donor scale.

Yes, exactly. In fact, that's where I got the idea. As you say, seldom used but just the ticket for certain jobs.

Kludge said:
Okay, now that I've figured out we're not talking about rules for machinists who are all of 6" tall or only use 6" lathes (I did mention being a bit slow, right?) ...

And I thought that Portuguese was a tricky language. For me the title of this thread was about rules or regulations for little six inch machines (wondered if they were lathes or mills). I thought that those little measuring "thingies" were called rulers, but, again, I'm Portuguese and here we normally have "réguas de 30 centimetros" ;D

Helder

I was taught to refer to them as scales, since they are a "precision" measuring tool as opposed to a ruler which is not precise. Precision in this context refers to repeatability and conformity. Scales are calibrated to a standard. Take 10 different tape measures or rulers and you will have 10 different definitions of an inch. Take 10 different precision scales and they should all measure an inch the same.

It's a habit that stuck. Rulers are rulers but a machinists rule is a scale.

Though it's obvious there can be errors in manufacture.

Kevin

Like you, Kevin, I had it beaten into my head that that thing I use to stir my coffee is a scale, and not a rule or ruler.

Times must have changed, however, since even Starrett now refers to them as rules (not rulers)...

http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/catalog/PLH2.asp?NodeNum=21812&Mode=PLIST

I'll continue to call it a scale. If nothing else, it sounds more elegant and this world is sadly lacking in elegance.

mklotz said:
Like you, Kevin, I had it beaten into my head that that thing I use to stir my coffee is a scale, and not a rule or ruler.

You can't use a scale to stir you coffee, because it will expand with the heat and the loss of precision will turn it into a rule or ruler. :big: :big:

I'm not sure about the precision thing. Back when I used to do layouts for printed circuit boards, I had a series of boards with unexplained errors. I eventually found that one of the inches on my 'precision scale' had eleven tenths. Being machine made, I expect there are thousands of those still in circulation.

Every board I visit, the 6" scale is worshipped as the essential tool to have at hand.

I just have yet to find I needed one. I use digital calipers, height gage, tape measure, and micrometer (in that order of frequency) to do just about everything mentioned here. The lathe tool height setting gets done with a funny little bubble level widget I got somewhere. If I hadn't bought that, then I would need a 6" scale!

In retrospect, that would've been better, and I wouldn't feel so left out and unprofessional.

Cheers,

BW

Bob
Can a digital calipers, height gauge, tape measure or micrometer sweep away the gathering
stringer chips on a rotating part and still be useful after doing that? ;)

The 6" scale is probably the most abused tool ANY machinist will ever own but it will
still be functional after all of that abuse.

Rick

I've had my oldest 6 inch scale for 30 years now, haven't had to change the batteries yet ;D

Hello All:

With regards to the PEC rules with the mis-prints...

I worked as an instructor at our local vo-tech and when the enrollment and budget dropped, the school would look for cost savings where it could. One of the instructors was very good at finding deals and he found that PEC 'seconds' were available somewhere. I don't remember where. Most often I found that the rules were considered seconds for a minor cosmetic flaw that would not effect the function. It is quite possible that the tools John S has seen have been some of these seconds. If I were a manufacturer of precision measuring tools, I wouldn't want my factory seconds (scrap) out in circulation. :Doh:

Regards,
Mike

rake60 said:
Bob
Can a digital calipers, height gauge, tape measure or micrometer sweep away the gathering
stringer chips on a rotating part and still be useful after doing that? ;)

The 6" scale is probably the most abused tool ANY machinist will ever own but it will
still be functional after all of that abuse.

Rick

Nah, I use chip brushes for that. I stuck a magnet on the handle of a bunch of 'em and so there are a couple hanging on each machine.

Good thought though! I'd hate to try to stick the height gage in there for that purpose, LOL. :eek:

Best,

BW

Bob, you're not alone. I too rarely use a 6" rule for anything other than stashing in the car for occasional impromptu measuring at the hardware store or scrapyard.
Every so often I might center a lathe tool with one.

Latest posts

Back