Silver soldering paste shelf life

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacomb

Reaction score
Hello all

I got last year a bottle of flux for silver soldering. Have read in this forum that the paste has a shelf life, and wanted to clarify if this is the powder that comes in the bottle, or the paste result of mixing the powder with water and a drop of detergent.

I am specially interested with the shelf life of the powder

The one I have is
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tenacity-...Supplies_ET&hash=item35aeb303d8#ht_552wt_1312

There is no mention on the instructions to a shelf life once opened.

Shelf life, schmelf life. I have 25-year-old white flux that works fine when rejuvenated with a little clean water. I think it's shelf life is like that of table salt.

I had a bottle of paste silver solder - not just flux, but the solder mixed in too, sold for use in jewelry making. It was labeled/dated with a 1 year shelf life, and a couple years later opened it again for another project and it was one solid block, would not redisolve. Flux only could well behave much differently. Just checked some of the jewelry tool suppliers - they still date the paste-solder mixes and recommend use within 6 months to a year. The paste flux-only products have no dates or shelf life labelling.

I had a small bottle of silver solder paste that went hard. Asking Cuplloy
www.cupalloys.co.uk/‎
if there was a 'thinner' or any thing else to rejuvenate it, I was told 'No'. Quite a reputable firm so I don't think they were just after a new sale.

Their website is very helpful and answers questions that sometime come up on this forum.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

"Shelf life, schmelf life. I have 25-year-old white flux that works fine when rejuvenated with a little clean water. I think it's shelf life is like that of table salt."

+1

This bottle of Silver Brazing Flux by now 10 year old and still good.Just used it 2 weeks ago and no problem. The flux got too thick,I add in water and stir up before applying on joint.

IMG_0602.jpg

Back