Sieg X1 mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipenter

Reaction score
ARC have an offer on the X1 mill that I couldn't resist , ordered it Thursday morning it came yesterday I thought that was pretty good service , striped it down and cleaned of the oil plan to scrape the slides today using ARC guide http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects.aspx they recommend turning the gib screws to a radius point I will do the locking screws as well to stop any movement when locking the axis up .

Thats $535 Aus. A real bargain with around $180 of extras thrown in. Well spotted.

Chipenter

Please can you let me know what you think of the X1 mill as I am thinking of getting one but just cannot make my mind up. What are you planning to use it for
I need to make my mind up before the offer finishes

Mike

I have been looking for a while but space is tight , and my pillar drill is the only space available and a drill mill seems the answer , I am making a 31\2 inch gage loco Invicta will be my first loco but I also make clocks and boats , Got all the slides scraped and lapped today do the headstock tomorrow , it is god quality castings just the finishing need a bit of work but you get what you pay for , and I can do the finishing the slides are nice and smooth now .

I sold my X1 to buy a Grizzly Mini Mill. I sometimes miss the old one.

That one, with all the extras is a real bargain.

Got it back together late last night had chanse to play with it today , compared to the virtical slide in the lathe this is solid , with the slides a bit stiff I tried climb milling with now problems , The dials will be the firt mod two mm pitch thread and 80 divisions each division = 0.025 mm 1 mm = 40 who thought that one out ? 200 divisions on a 50 mm dial will be about 3\4 of a mm apart , and the fine feed is hard to see will think about that one later .

Hi,

I have had one of these for a couple of years, once adjusted and sorted out they are very good value for money and can do a lot of good work within their limits although they are agricultural compared to my Taig mill. The lead screw and the resettable collars are very accurate for what the mill is. I have machined the bearing blocks from both sides to take a thrust and ball bearing and the back lash is within 0.05mm and the movement is smooth. The weak points are the unsupported heavy head, gibs and the leadscrew nuts and don't go Flycutting like crazy with this mill, it doesn't like it period. Enjoy your mill.

Regards,

A.G

Back