Sidney Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My latest find, saw it laying on the ground at an old welding shop, its was stuck in the mud, has a few broken handles but the are there, it was froze, got everthing to work so far but the cross slide, its a Sidney 16" and do have the tail stock, gave the fellow $ 40.00 dollars for it, it was sold by the Oliver Van Horn Co. in New Orleans La., they are still in business, sent them an email to see if the might still have a record of it, does anyone know much about the Sidney lathes, they have a drive on this one with a transmission neat the way the hooked it up with the clutch, ain't she a pretty, well maybe not but did save her from the scrap yard, going to oil and tap until all is loose, Lathe Nut
16Sidney.jpg

Hi, Lathe Nut. That is a nice find and save ! I got an old shaper that way too. It makes me wonder how much is still out there yet. Have fun getting her back in shape. Keep me posted on this please.
Skeeter ;D

nicely done there worth evry penny of $40 of anyones money it looks to have that old timey charm kinda like my 60 year old mk1 raglan littlejohn lathe with its original variamatic speed change belts absolutely corking find

Thanks fellows, i got the clutch to work and the brake band to release, sanded the two V ways and the two flats, got the carriage to move with great ease, now to get the compound to move, was saying to my self I was not going to paint it just wanted to use it to build bushings for a 580B Case Backhoe that I just go another basket case, but I might paint it, happy hunting, Lathe Nut

That is what a lathe is SUPPOSED to look like!

Nice find Lathe Nut! Thm:

Rick

Latest posts

Back