Shiny Brass?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How can I keep any brass components looking good and not oxidizing?

Was thinking of using a small amount of oil but are there better ways?

Darrin, oil may be aright for lubrication or for combating rust issues on steel but I am afraid it's not of much use in retaining a luster on metal surfaces. Oil and waxes have a penchant for attracting and retaining dirt. Some will suggest the use of clear coat lacquers as there are decent products available on the market for doing so. The downside of these products is 'if', any of the surfaces treated with these coatings get compromised, due to either poor application or from getting scratched, the substrate metal is exposed to the air with the result being a tarnished appearance. The only way to resolve this condition is to strip the entire piece and re-apply the coating as no amount of area prep will result in a decent finish. A good metal polish, some clean, dry terrycloth or gauze pads coupled with a bit of quality downtime with the metal pieces will yield a shine that will endure quite a long time if the pieces are not handled. Again the oils on ones skin attract dirt and are transfered to the metal along with, in some instances, ones sweat is slightly acidic which also does not bode well for a good shine. It has been my experience that a quality shine begins with the surface preparation. The more machining and tool marks one can remove from the surface the better. Going over surfaces with progressively finer and finer grits of abrasive paper followed up with a session of polish will put a smile on your face, one that you will be able to see in the finish. An occasional follow up with the polish and clean cloth every couple of months is all that is required to keep things nice and bright.

BC1
Jim

Thanks for the tips.
I think I'll get some lacquer to use on some parts that will be hard to reach when assembled and use a lot of elbow grease for the rest.

hi just my tip i use car lacquer out of rattle tins

Hi
Try the coatings the guyes who make these lovely intricate clocks use look up horilogical supplies on google.
Bob

One thing you might try is a furniture polish that does not contain silicone. Mr Sheen is one such brand. Not only will it make the paintwork shine, but it will slow the tarnishing of brightwork, but not eliminate it.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Darren English said:
How can I keep any brass components looking good and not oxidizing?

Was thinking of using a small amount of oil but are there better ways?
Lacquer is what manufacturers use on brass hinges ,doorknobs etc. I use a spray can where possible. On a model the finish should last as long as the lacquer isn't scratched off.
mike

Like everything that needs to be lacquered, the surface has to be chemically clean otherwise whatever is on there will show up under the lacquer after a while.

My method is to polish, clean off with spirits (cellulose brushwash), buff up again to a high lustre, always holding the part in a very soft cloth. Then it is dipped again in clean spirits (suspended on fine wire) and left to dry.

I always try to warm up the parts slightly to drive off any moisture that can settle on the part, and spray with Letraset sealant whilst still warm.

I have had some stuff prepared in this way over 5 years old and no sign of any tarnish at all.

Like Steamdave, if it isn't to be coated, I use Mr Sheen, and that gives good protection for at least a couple of years, with just a wipe over every now and again with another coating spray.

John

If the brass is tarnished already, use Mr. Muscle steel cleaner before the cellulose thinners.

Mr. Muscle works wonders on tarbnished brass.

Regards, Hauk

Latest posts

Back