Sherline Tram Question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edan

Reaction score
Hello,

On one of my Sherline Mills I have noticed that it can get out of square at times so this is something that I check frequently. This is a Model 2000 mill. (the 8 directional mill)
I find that I don’t really have any problem with the X alignment but the Y can move at times.

I have been looking at the tramming tools that people have made for their mills and I have wondered if something like this would work for the Sherline. Since I have the indicators I thought I would model the tool in Alibre and draw up the plans, but I have run into a situation that I am not comfortable with.
As you can see on “Plan A”, the indicators are too close to the spindle shaft. One of the indicators is .004 and the other is .009. (all of the indicators vary in diameter)
I am already too close, in my opinion, to the edge of the table. This mill has produced a lot of parts and there are a few dings in the table edges. As drawn, I have .0425 from the edge of the table to the indicator centerline on each side. My concern with Plan A is I would like to move the indicators out to allow for any machining error or future replacement with a larger diameter indicator and this would put them in the questionable area of the table.

My next thought was to move the indicators in slightly closer to the spindle and away from the table edge and then position the indicators at 45 degrees. Please see “Plan B”.

Has anyone made a tool like this for the Sherline?
Does anyone see any problems with either plan?

The table is really not that “beat up” as the above may sound. In all the years I have had this mill I only had one (bad) accident. I had a part clamped to the table approx. 5 inches wide, 3 inches deep, and 3 inches high. This was a steel part that I was modifying.
After clamping it to the table I just had this feeling I did not have enough clamps, but I thought I would just “go a little easier on the feed” and it would be ok. Everything went ok up until the last cut. I got lazy and instead of moving the table around to make a conventional cut, I decided that a climb cut should be ok this time. Dumb.
I can still remember the sound of the part hitting the back column, and then falling back against the table. Somehow, the part rotated about 100 degrees so that the newly machined, and very sharp edge, fell on the corner of the table.
This was how the table received two dings in the back.
I got up, unplugged the mill, walked away, and returned a while later thinking that I knew better and that how foolish I was for doing what I had done. Looking at the part laying there in between the table and column I could see that at least I had only messed up the back of the table.
I then reached down and grabbed the part to pick it up. Between my feeling bad about messing the part up and damaging the mill I had forgot that there were sharp edges on the part. As soon as the blood started to flow I immediately dropped the part.
This is how the front of the table got dinged up.
Boy…it’s a good thing that these mills can’t talk….

Plan A.png

Plan B.png

Uh, as a full time machinist for 30 years or so when I see these "tramming tools" I gotta wonder why. The only thing I have ever used or seen used is a single indicator with an extended holder swung in as wide an arc as possible. The extensions and indicators used are as varied as the operators using them. I use a simple aluminum rod and an Interapid indicator myself.

Just my .02

If you are going to use indicators with large dials there is no reason that the 45 degree angle idea wouldn't work. I also have the Sherline 2000 mill, and have to agree that tramming the Y axis can be a real pain due to the location of the pivot. I use to spend a lot of time tramming the Y axis until I decided to make one of these dual indicator tramming tools. Now I tram both X and Y axis in a matter of a few minutes. I also find that I tram my mill more often now that the Y axis is so much easier to check with this tramming tool.

I made a very similar tramming tool and find that it saves me a great deal of time. One thing that I would warn you about is that the Sherline mill table isn't perfectly flat. The center section on mine is a little higher than the front and back, along the Y axis. So, I use an indicator mounted to the mill head, as opposed to the spindle, and measure the error in order to account for it when using a dual dial indicator tram tool.

Here is a link to the one that I made:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=11275.msg167450#msg167450

Latest posts

Back