Sheldon Vernon "0"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcduper

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I just picked up a sweet Sheldon Vernon "0" horizontal mill (Ser. 3-5544). Power feed, back gear, variable speed, B&S#9 adapters, twos arbors and a BUNCH of #9 end mills and cutters. Very good shape!
Only issue is that the variable speed pulley is not working. I understand how it works, but it does not shift. This mill has a oil cup and sight hole at the side of the machine it does not have a grease fitting and grease line. I think those features are for lubing the shaft that it spins on, not the pulley mechanism. Anyone have any tips on loosening this thing up? The center plate is towards the motor side currently.

Thank you,

Marc

I'm not familiar with the Sheldon but is this variable speed mechanism based on variable sized pulleys. Usually one is spring loaded and the other used to adjust speed. If so a number of things are possible from broken springs to seized up bushings. You would need to take the drive apart to really know what is going on. If you are to take it apart I'd seriously consider an upgrade to a three phase variable speed drive / motor combo.

Oh pictures might help. Like I said I've never seen a Sheldon.

I got the variable speed working! The pulley was bound up. I got it all apart and bored it out a little to straighten it out. This machine is great! I am trying to figure out how to get a picture on this site.

Marc

Latest posts

Back