Sharpening tiny drills

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not so put off by gear heads who struggle with French but I do wish they'd learn to spell some of the terms specific to the hobby. "Verticle" is just one example.

Then there are machinists who don't even know how to spell the name of their trade. When they say they are machinests I can't help but wonder...

Orrin

i learned how to sharpen drill bits from a cranky old foreman

he was upset with my lack of skill and handed me a dull 1-1/4" bit
telling me that the cutting edge had to be sharp and everything else
should be as supportive as possible to that edge but must be ground
for clearance

it's very easy to do on that scale
once you can perfect that it is easy to scale down to
successfully grind smaller and smaller bits

rick

(True story! Just checking to see if anyone is paying attention.)

stickpoke ---- ;)

Rick, looks like your post will not be read.

Sorry boss.

Dean

I know.
Someday I might learn to behave myself.
Or not...

Rick

Let's see...

illiteracy
Learning disabilities
Dyslexia
Nonnative speakers
Head injury
Exited 3rd grade to support family
Progressive dementia
Failing eyesight
Multiple sclerosis
Muscular dystrophy
Arthritis
Alzheimer's
Old age

Gee.... you guys are right. There simply are no valid excuses for bad form with a keyboard. Thanks for making me aware that these folks have nothing to contribute.... I might have wasted time thinking they just might teach me something. Glad we got that all cleared up..... Anyone wanna go pick wings off a few flies?

Steve

If You Can Raed Tihs, You Msut Be Raelly Smrat:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Sooooo Whaaaat? If it's understood, who cares? Our children are taught 'another language' in public schools now so what about that? Yes, it's picking fly crap out of the pepper...hehehehe

"Wishbone Drill Sharpener"? But the first suggestion is the best - throw the dull ones away!

Bill C.

Cedge said:
Let's see...

illiteracy
Learning disabilities
Dyslexia
Nonnative speakers
Head injury
Exited 3rd grade to support family
Progressive dementia
Failing eyesight
Multiple sclerosis
Muscular dystrophy
Arthritis
Alzheimer's
Old age

Gee.... you guys are right. There simply are no valid excuses for bad form with a keyboard. Thanks for making me aware that these folks have nothing to contribute.... I might have wasted time thinking they just might teach me something. Glad we got that all cleared up..... Anyone wanna go pick wings off a few flies?

Steve

Steve, this is probably the best post of this, 'well off topic', thread. Sure, lets stop reading what people have to offer because we dont like the way they articulate with a keyboard. So, some folk dont use the keyboard well, does this marginalise the value of their life experience? Probably does, cause we know everything anyway.... ;D

We all make choices, I choose to listen, and work through disabilities (or whatever...laziness??), so I may 'hear' what others have to say, regardless of how well (or not) I can spell or speak.

In my opinion, those who state that they choose not to make the effort, are saying more about themselves than those who dont do so well with a keyboard.

Just my 02 worth.... im not even sure why Im posting here... put this thread back on topic Mr Moderator... (please).... ;D

By the way Marv, nice simple tool, I like it..

Artie

Steve,
Your point is well taken. But the reverse is also true. The reader may have issues that prevent them from reading the post.

Four years ago I suffered a left-hemisphere stroke. This is the side of the brain that interprets language, thought, writing, reasoning etc. All the logical thinking is processed here. The stroke was minor in nature but the injury it left is very real.

Even with properly formed writing it can sometimes, not always, be difficult for me to figure out what is being said. But without at least basic punctuation and capitalization it can be damned near impossible.

For what it's worth I've seen very few examples of posts here that I could not read. But this is not the only forum I visit. I've seen people ask a question but write an entire treatise as though they were texting from their phone. No caps, no punctuation and everything was abbreviated. They will go on for paragraphs describing their particular problem in this manner. In my particular situation, these are unreadable. My brain just sees random letters that make no sense.

Before the stroke this was not an issue.

Kevin,

Whilst I appreciate your comments, in my humble opinion they in no way excuse the elitist and condescending tone this thread has taken.

I would like to apologise to all here for whom English is not their 1st language and to those who struggle with the written word.

We are all here because we want to share our experiences in our hobby and I for one welcome the content and intent of almost all posts and threads in our forum.

Enough said.

Back on track - as Rick said if you can sharpen a big drill by hand, which I think is one greater than 1 inch or 25 mm, then the smaller ones fall into line reasonably well with a little patience and practice.

Best Regards
Bob

Anyone heard of a 'wishbone' drill sharpener?

Please do post a photograph or three, and instructions on its use was well. This sounds like a good addition to the shop, and good for those drills I don't care to inflict the Darex on...

Alan

Alan J. Richer said:
Please do post a photograph or three, and instructions on its use was well. This sounds like a good addition to the shop, and good for those drills I don't care to inflict the Darex on...

Alan

Will do, this afternoon; I'm at work now....

Bill C.

Latest posts

Back