Set up help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twistin_wood

Reaction score
Hi, and I am so thankful I found you guys. I have two wood lathe and just got my first watchmakers lathe, its American Watch & Tool Co. "WW" Watchmaker's Lathe. Everything works but I can not do anything with it. My goal was to use it to make pens and miniatures with it. My problem is I do not know what to get for a collet or chuck to hold anything. I think I need a collet and a draw bar, or chuck but am not sure what or what size. I believe it is a 8mm size. I could get a chuck, but is their one that just fits or do you need more. I also want a live center for tail but am not sure. I don't want to stick to much money in it till I give it a try. If someone has some suggestions and ideas or pictures of how the collet goes in and tightens up. here is a pic of what i got. and I am really hoping for some help. I hate to buy stuff off eBay if I am not sure what to get

!BSw5VEgBGk~$(KGrHgoH-DQEjlLl),B+BKEz+CQI8!~~_3.JPG

I don't know much about watch makers lathes, but the picture you attached and gave the link for are too small to see.

Brian Rupnow said:
As soon as I opened this thread my Anti virus went nuts with a 'Trojan Spy" warning.

The Image code includes characters that are not alpha/numeric any good
anti virus with it's security settings on MAX would recognize that as a
possible script code. It isn't....

Rick

Hello TW, welcome to the forum. Chucks for these types of lathes come in a number of designs. If I may suggest, there is a scroll type, that is, you tighten an outer ring in order to adjust the jaws. All of the attachments that I have ever seen are held on the machine by a collet looking spigot that is incorporated onto the attachment itself. These tools require a drawbar in order to secure the attachments in place. Try perusing Ebay and I am certain you can find what it is you are looking for at a price you wish to spend.(or not) I owned one of these lathes including almost all of the known attachments for many years but never put it to use :( They are very precision and should serve your purpose well with a small amount of adaptation.

BC1
Jim

Back