Self Setting Parallels for the Drilling Vice

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

workshopman

Reaction score
When drilling a part, supported by parallels in the drilling machine vice it is probable that, like me, you have had the problem of keeping the parallels away from the drill as the drill breaks through. The device in this video virtually eliminates the problem, except if any part of a holes diameter breaks into an area closer than 2mm from its edge. Even then, there are ways to avoid the problem whilst still using the device.

You will find a link to the video on this page http://www.homews.co.uk/page147.html

I know I have repeated the following many times but for those new to my videos an index of those already public can be found here http://www.homews.co.uk/page617a.html

Harold Hall

What I use to keep the parallels against the jaws is a piece of steel banding bent in half. It has sufficient spring for the job and if necessary can be opened out again afterwards.
The banding is about 1/2" high and if folded back on itself tightly would be less than 1/8".

Dave
The Emerald Isle

The good thing about this unit is it self adjusts to the jaw position and holds itself in place .

I saw a trick on a Youtube channel & he used a large rubber band circling the parallel & around the vise jaw body, one for either side. I found some elastics at a stationary store & method works well too.

Another issue I was having is drilling through stock but obviously not hitting a parallel set underneath. My parallels sets are all ~6" long so in order to make a gap in the middle, they extend out the sides of the mill vise & want to flop over because they are cantilevered. You can slide the parallel out after clamping but then part is not supported which kind of defeats the purpose. The elastics didn't help for this, but I ended up finding a set of 3"long 'shorties' from LMS. They allow a gap in the middle but still stand securely on either side of vise base.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3946&category=

Sometimes banding can get in the way, like drilling close to an edge. Then I use the Styrofoam popcorn or whatever it's called that comes with packaging installed between parallels. This works up to about 1" wide stock.
mike

Hi Mike,

Yes I agree, having drilled into banding that I've used and breaking the drill. If I have to get really close to an edge, a strip of wood under the work does the job dispencing with the parallels altogether. Its just the messing about to find and cut a piece of wood to suit.

Very much a matter of whatever works for you to get the job done.

I find placing a strip of paper (or masking tape) between the parallel and the work piece will keep the parallels where I want them. A slight rap after tightening the vise will assure it.

Similar to Dave above, but I just use a 1/2" diameter spring between the two.

If the spring compresses too much, the parallels are close enough together not to worry about them.

A case of what isn't there can't go wrong.

John

Latest posts

Back