Seeking advice on first ic engine project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CALGACUS

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've only just joined the forum, and I'm looking for advice about an appropriate model ic engine to choose as a first project. I've used lathes before (when I was at school and in evening classes when I was a teenager) and currently build R/C model aircraft, so am interested in building an engine that I could use as a practical power source for such a model.

I've just joined an evening class at a local college and went to the first meeting last Wednesday. The teacher seems to think that building such an engine is well within my capabilities. The college is very well equiped, and the teacher keen to instruct and help.

I've hunted around the internet, and have come up with a short-list of engine plans that are available. My main criteria are:
  • It should be built from bar stock (any screw-ups on my part won't be too expensive, and no need to buy expensive castings
  • It should be about 4cc - 10cc in size (not too fiddly, and of a practical size for a flying model

Beyond the above though I have no idea what engine to go for. My shortlist is:

Can anyone give me any advice or feedback on which of these to choose – or maybe another engine altogether? It looks like I'm coming down in favour of the Zephyr, but I would prefer something slightly larger e.g. 5cc or 7.5cc.

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Don.

[edited to fix link]

Of that list I would personalty go with the Puck. I will admit this is a bias opinion as I know Todd from Cabin fever and have had many talks with him
Tin

Thanks for the reply Tin Falcon.

The Puck certainly looks like a lovely engine, and the fact that the plans come with full instructions, photos, etc. will be helpful too.

OK - decision made Thm:, I'll let you know how I get on!

Don.

Hi Don, I'll be the Devil's advocate here and point out a couple of things that may have been overlooked in your decision. The Puck is listed as (and I'll use their words) being suitable for "an advanced beginner... " not something that I would be wanting to charge into if I were selecting a first time project, especially one that is being done in a shop class environment. (can you safely leave an unfinished part in a machine for (?)days) Just a thought. I do not wish to discourage you in your efforts and not knowing your skill sets either makes it difficult at best to help in your selection. May I suggest that you continue to search for a suitable candidate and solicit some guidance from your instructor before laying down your money. It does seem to me that I have seen or have some drawings for a relatively simple glow plug aero type engine somewhere. I'll do some digging in my files and if I run across them, I'll let you know. Good luck in your endeavors and take lots of pictures along the way.

BC1
Jim

If you have not decided yet what to build, There is a great engine with free plans on this forum.

Arv (PutPutman's) Tiny I.C.

This engine was my first, (and so far only) IC engine. It was intimidating at first but once I got into it I found it to be quite simple and easy to build. Not to mention Cheap, the materials are small very affordable pieces of bar stock.

Not to mention alot of discussion which is invaluable when building anything.

Here is the link, the plans are posted in the link as individual drawings and also available in the downloads section.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=8096.0

The download can be directly accessed at:
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item310

Kel

IIRC todd told me that he has had shop teachers buy the plans and permission to do multiple builds as a class project. . Todd was thrilled at that prospect.
Tin

Latest posts

Back