Scruffys EZ engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scruffy

Reaction score
I made a start on my EZ engine last night, started on the base while Im waiting for my 4 jaw chuck to arrive (Should come in today). I'm using the metric plan set and due to my lack of a mill am making some small changes to work with material on hand. I started by cutting the base and stand to length with the hack saw and then fixing my poor cutting attempt with a file and a set square. Fortunately my cuts weren't that bad. Drilled the through holes in the underside of the base to mount the frame. I'm using hex head hole so I needed to counter sink the heads, been far too long since I sharpened a drill for a bottoming job and I will need to revisit that, as it didn't work. I used a standard drill to do this and hope I don't run into problems with it later. I used the screws in these holes to transfer my hole locations on to the edge of the frame marked center and drilled out these ready for tapping. I had to buy an M3 tap as most of my taps are imperial. This is where I ran into my 1st hurdle, my tap handles are gone. I haven't looked in this tool box since three houses ago, I will get another handle today.
Hope to get some more done tonight

DSC_0628.jpg

Thanks Steve, while Ive always wanted a lathe and mill I had never thought of small engines. Till I stumbled on your V8 on another forum, that got me over here to see yours and now I have the lathe I can start to make some stuff

Hi Bazmac it's got a 80mm 3 jaw on it I have ordered the 4 jaw in the same size

I builded the same engine & it was great too build. Also is it a great runner & very forgiven for little mistakes.
Only I make the flywheel much more heavy. It runs much better than & also the power is increased.

Barry

No progress today, had one of the girls from our Sydney warehouse come to Melbourne and I got to be tour guide for the day. Not work related at all, just touristy stuff. Good days work but had me out of my usual area so I didnt get to the shop for my tap. My 4 jaw chuck arrived and I'll get a pic up of it after I obey and cut the lawns in the morning

Hi Scruffy,

Here a picture from mine. Now is the aluminium flywheel changed by a larger & wider Brass flywheel. It runs really better with that.

Foto650-4NUJRSEM.jpg

I should be back on track to get building again, I was missing lots of stuff required to do the job and hope that this new influx of tools helps me for a bit

tools.jpg

Looking good scruffy, it's always nice to add tools to your collection. You certainly need the basics to be able to proceed with minimum problems.

Paul.

Sure does Paul
I managed to get all the other holes on the frame drilled and tapped, I have bought bolts way too long for the job so I need to return to the bolt shop. Im fairly proud of my hacksaw cut on the 25mm square I have though. My spine issues aren't going to let me cut the other though. Ill have to work out another less strenuous way to cut larger material

DSC_0634.jpg

DSC_0636.jpg

DSC_0637.jpg

Latest posts

Back