Screw Machine drill bits.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
In another thread I mentioned buying a drill bit set from this place.

http://www.discount-tools.com/mic-drillset27.cfm
drillset1.jpg

The drill bit set was delivered as described shipped direct from the Florida USA manufacturer.
For whatever reason the shipment was a bit slow. Invoiced on the 15th shipped on the 24th received today. Item well packed and in good order.
One very minor problem for some reason a 1/2 in regular 118 degree bit was substituted for the expected 135 degree bit. not a serious issue.

So from what I see a great deal on a great set of USA made drill bits. In a huot drill index.

so if you want a great set of bits at a great price About half off list) order a set. if you are expecting next day or even 4 day to the east cost delivery it may not happen. Not McMaster Carr service but not MC pricing either.
communication could have been better but I did recieve what I ordered.
Tin

I wanted USA made if possible screw machine length a must. this was the best price I found.
Tin

"When buying a piece of kit which is intended for precision work, one would expect the tools to be precisely built. Not so with this engineers drill set.
As the bits increase in increments of thousands of an inch, it would be fair to assume that the holes they make would also be as accurate, but the bits - although the correct diameter - were all but a few bent, ground eccentric, and ruined the first component i used them on. I should have gone to the expense of buying reputable drills like Dormer, and saved myself a whole load of hassle."

That's a customer review of the product sold by Screwfix UK ! To be fair and unbiased there were two good reviews but one bad one would be more than enough for me.
I like Chinese food , have even read some of the red book but have yet to see an engineering product that comes anywhere near the quality of a similar item made in the UK or USA .
Like their boats it's junk and we buy it at our own peril.
Well done TinFalcon we must support our own industries where we can and cheap tools that don't work are more expensive than good ones that do.

Last edited:
Reactions: rmw
Shopshoe;
This was my first purchase from this dealer. I think he is an internet middleman as the bits came shipped direct from Michigan Drill South in Miami.
It seems the somewhat slow delivery was the manufacturer waiting for a couple of the sizes of bits to be made before the set could be shipped. also sandy traveling up the coast probably added a few days to the time possibly on the manufacturing end as well as the shipping. Almost nothing was moving in new jersey Monday or Tuesday. I will likely deal with him again if i can find any similar deals of things I need / like the guy is trying to sell USA made stuff at affordable prices cant fault him for that.

Abby thanks for the kudos. I do like to buy american when I can . sometime the import tools work and sometimes they are a total waste of money.

"That same set" can vary in price from about $ 50 to $350 depending on the length ,tip grind, coating, and import vs brand name made in USA. so buyer beware.
a import jobbers length set will be the cheap set and the screw machine length USA on the top end.

Tin

Yep I guess I forgot to mention that here on this thread. the x2 mill and my mini lathe only have 7" of z so saving an inch or two on drill bit lengths helps a lot.
Tin

Back