Scratch building the Hicks Oscillator

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice job on the engine. I am a long time builder/member of this forum and two others. When I started modelling about twelve years ago, I had incredible responses from other people on the forums. Gradually this has died away, to the point where I even wonder if it is worthwhile to bother posting. I don't know why this is. Perhaps I have posted so much that people have grown tired of my stuff. Perhaps I haven't always agreed with or acknowledged other peoples posts. I know that the quality of my work hasn't dropped off. Some people still respond, and I can see by my post count that people are still looking at my posts. I do know that it is difficult to take the time to post on an almost daily basis and not have anyone post a comment about what you are posting about.---Brian Rupnow

Deerferdog, thanks again for the plans, talking about the build progress earlier, that sparks my interest in a build, there are some pieces that I do not know how to hold to machine them but when there is photos of the build that is where we who don't know a lot can learn, I have several lathes and a few mills both vertical and horizontal so I got the tools just missing the how too's, and this is for all you fellow that post the progress I thanks you, Brian and C Fellows were two that I and several others learned a lot, thanks to you and all the rest, Joe

I think the hobby is in a slow death spiral, like most of the mechanical trades. Young people aren't as eager to get their hands dirty and most don't appear to have a basic background in machinery. When I was a teenager I had to fix my own car, I learned as I did it. Modern cars appear to be more disposable and are harder to work on. Most systems are run by computer and require specialized equipment. I would be willing to bet that the majority of teenagers today wouldn't know the first thing about car repair.

Basically I'm saying that with a few exceptions the younger crowd isn't going to keep the hobby going. There will be a smaller and smaller audience as time goes on. The one hope would be CNC, the cost is very low compared to what it used to be. That might help delay the inevitable.

Nice job on your project mate. I built an ossilator to run a blower fan on a steam assisted yaucht i was involved in a few years back. maybe we should catch up some time im about 3 hrs away from you south of the closed border.
regards
tony

note the ballance cylinder and piston on the side of the engine cylinder; this does away with the spring etc on the usuall ossilating engines.

Hi Richard, without being overly egotistical, it is nice to have the background noise of the single word murmerings, and longer plaudits, as well as technical comment. But as long as it isn't the sole motivation for posting pics of models, just "let it be".... We are all different, and that's what makes postings interesting to those who comment, and those who are happy just to read. And there will be those who simply appreciate the "companionship" of reading the banter.
Keep writing, but don't let this website ever upset you, as it is just a bit of fun between friends.
Keep on with your comments, as we the readers will keep on reading!
Enjoy!
K

Tony r. Interesting balance cylinder idea. I guess that this could cause steam leaks momentarily when steam pressures are low? But it does work - I guess because the loading piston is sized to give a tad more force that the pressure of the steam at the valve plate... It does look to be working leak-free. The proof of the design and manufacture. What lubrication is there?
Well done! K

Tony r. Interesting balance cylinder idea. I guess that this could cause steam leaks momentarily when steam pressures are low? But it does work - I guess because the loading piston is sized to give a tad more force that the pressure of the steam at the valve plate... It does look to be working leak-free. The proof of the design and manufacture. What lubrication is there?
Well done! K
It was an idea i came up with, if i worked out the size of the balance cylinder in relation to the working pressure the port plate would have little friction. the cylinder was 1 1/4'' and i think i made the ballance around 5/8'' i think.
vertually no steam leek, and powering on wet steam the water was sufficent lube.
also the port plate was from lg2 and cylinder wall was made from monel k 500
tony

Cutting out the shaft supports followed much the same procedure on the mill as cutting out the base. I find these to be a bit challenging because they are an identical pair and my ability to produce two items exactly the same is not good. The deep cutting required is helped by using plenty of cutting fluid as I find this flushes way a lot of the chips and stops galling of the cutter. The side angle works out to be around seven degrees and my home made table clamp was set to this. All initial cuts were made with a 12mm ruffer bit and the final clean up with a 12mm planer cutter. I left .025 mm on the work for clean up, I find by doing this the parts are much more accurately finished and the clean up is now very easy. I can’t believe that I once never used to do things this way! After a bit of detailing, a quick run around with the router and then into the sandblasting cabinet the supports were done. Looked pretty good too, the blaster sure cleans things up.
Lastly, a quick word to all those who have taken the time to comment...thanks. I’m just a hacker, in spite of what some of you appear to think, but I enjoy this hobby and I enjoy the feeling of family when we come together on this forum. Long may it be so.
A few pics, Cheers, Peter

20200531_100743.jpg
20200531_111425.jpg
20200531_112438.jpg
20200531_132305.jpg
20200531_140125.jpg
20200601_084404.jpg
20200601_115742.jpg
20200601_162115.jpg

When I started modelling about twelve years ago, I had incredible responses from other people on the forums. Gradually this has died away, to the point where I even wonder if it is worthwhile to bother posting. I don't know why this is.

After I read this, I it dawned on me why: Smart phones and tablets. It's much easier to reply at an actual keyboard than typing on a touchscreen. As smart phones and tablets became more prevalent and keyboard use decreased, so does the responses.

...Ved.

deerferdog thanks added them to saved file on that engine, that is what I was talking about how to hold it, that is why I live the build photo's thanks again, Joe

Last edited:
Hi Richard, without being overly egotistical, it is nice to have the background noise of the single word murmerings, and longer plaudits, as well as technical comment. But as long as it isn't the sole motivation for posting pics of models, just "let it be".... We are all different, and that's what makes postings interesting to those who comment, and those who are happy just to read. And there will be those who simply appreciate the "companionship" of reading the banter.
Keep writing, but don't let this website ever upset you, as it is just a bit of fun between friends.
Keep on with your comments, as we the readers will keep on reading!
Enjoy!
K
Thanx, this does not upset me, it's just a comment. Like I said, I was "forced" to comment. Even my comment was all in goo fun, meant to be a joke sort of. As for my self, as Shakespeer might have said, "The world is a stage", I believe that every syllable should be informative, a joke, and a serious poke at the reader and most of all -- entertaining! That's hard to do most of the time.

After I read this, I it dawned on me why: Smart phones and tablets. It's much easier to reply at an actual keyboard than typing on a touchscreen. As smart phones and tablets became more prevalent and keyboard use decreased, so does the responses.

...Ved.
Yes, my daughter is constantly hounding me to get a tablet--she says I'd like it. Now a goo friend from Australia got a tablet and says it is the best thing he has ever gotten and is hounding me to get one. Well, I can only remember my frustration at the first cell phone I got--I could not get it to work and after a few days I was so angry I threw it as hard as I could. Unfortunately I was not in a clear headed way and threw it at the picture window. But FORTUNATELY the drapes were so heavy they protected the window! True story. Anyway, that's the way I feel about not being able to type quickly. Furthermore the g&&da*n keyboards are qwerty which is meant for typing not hunt and peck. If I were to design a piece of sh&t like that, I would put the vowels in one spot and the consonants in order of the alphabet. It is silly aZZes who design krap like that and never see the reality of it. How silly are those azzes? Billions $$ worth! Even so, it is really stupid to have a querty where you can't ever touch the screen with 8 finger at once.

Hi Richard , your tongue-in-cheek comment got the similar reaction you should have expected. No offence intended. I know from your various comments you are a sport, anyway.
On the subject of the Qwerty keto Ard (keyboard), it doesn't like my fat fingers either! The "autos pellets" predictive thing should do the lottery.. it has as much chance of getting it right! Auto-spell??? Auto-corrupt! I write a lot of rubbish, but the tablet makes it much worse!
K

Hi Richard , your tongue-in-cheek comment got the similar reaction you should have expected. No offence intended. I know from your various comments you are a sport, anyway.
On the subject of the Qwerty keto Ard (keyboard), it doesn't like my fat fingers either! The "autos pellets" predictive thing should do the lottery.. it has as much chance of getting it right! Auto-spell??? Auto-corrupt! I write a lot of rubbish, but the tablet makes it much worse!
K
Yup, and worse yet, when I get hold of those things, I don't even see the words they predict at the top. I forgot in my comment above, that "should be informative, a joke, and a serious poke at the reader and most of all -- entertaining " and MOST OF ALL, a poke at myself! So here is that correction

BTW, did u know that before (approx. 1854) Daniel Webster's "Spelling Primer", a person in America simply spelled anything like it sounded? Yeah, it's true and I thim,k we should go bak to that--seriously. My hero, Ulysses Grant, is thot today to have been a bad speller, however, he didn't take Websters book in school, he was before that. So really, Grant spelt just fine.

Yup, and worse yet, when I get hold of those things, I don't even see the words they predict at the top. I forgot in my comment above, that "should be informative, a joke, and a serious poke at the reader and most of all -- entertaining " and MOST OF ALL, a poke at myself! So here is that correction

BTW, did u know that before (approx. 1854) Daniel Webster's "Spelling Primer", a person in America simply spelled anything like it sounded? Yeah, it's true and I thim,k we should go bak to that--seriously. My hero, Ulysses Grant, is thot today to have been a bad speller, however, he didn't take Websters book in school, he was before that. So really, Grant spelt just fine.

Hi Guys,
Tablets are great for playing games on and taking pictures but not much else, they are rubbish as a phone and crap for viewing and interacting with the forums, web sites in general !

Particularly this one ! Microscopic text so you have to log in before you can read anything. Now that will reduce my participation greatly !!!

Hi Guys,
Tablets are great for playing games on and taking pictures but not much else, they are rubbish as a phone and crap for viewing and interacting with the forums, web sites in general !

Particularly this one ! Microscopic text so you have to log in before you can read anything. Now that will reduce my participation greatly !!!
Yes, that too. My son has one and I can't reed a damn thing.

When this engine was first exhibited in 1851, England was enthralled by events in Egypt and a lot of machines designed around this time reflect this. The supports have a distinct Egyptian look about them for this reason. The underlying support block for the bearings I decided to make from brass to add a little bit of bling. Those amongst you that have inspected the plans will have realised that I am departing quite a bit by making these supports in three pieces rather than one item as drawn but that is one advantage of scratch building, complete flexibility. The last piece of the support, the bearing block cap was machined from aluminium bar. Everything turned out OK, although I broke a 3mm tap and had the usual problems when that happens. That’s about it, sorry nothing on typewriters or keyboards. Cheers, Peter
20200602_080314.jpg
20200602_082216.jpg
20200602_093055.jpg
20200602_120651.jpg
20200602_122334.jpg
20200602_145408.jpg
20200705_141916.jpg

Latest posts

Back