Scrap bin motor

Help Support HMEM:

itowbig

Reaction score
i just dont get it for some reason how it works

dvbydt

Reaction score
Sid,

Compressed air flows into the stator spindle via the copper tube, then via the transfer port to the two pistons. These are forced appart moving about 5mm. At maximum stroke (the rotor has moved about 90 degrees) the air is cut off and the pressure is bled off via the exhaust port in the outer sleve. The rotor has now moved 180 degrees and the cycle is repeated.

The rotor is about 45mm OD, the pistons are 8mm and the rollers are Delrin.

Ian

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Interesting application. Took me awhile to figure out what the pistons look like, but I think I've got it.

Chuck

itowbig

Reaction score
i still dont get how it works but it is cool looking.

dvbydt

Reaction score
Thanks for taking an interest. Not very good at explaining how it works, sorry, perhaps this is better. I didn't do any drawings, just made it up from scrap bits.

Ian

Air Path.jpg

itowbig

Reaction score
OH ok now i see how the thing works those little wheel are pistons hahaha
i just could not for the life of me figger out how that worked .
Thank you for that. it makes sence now

cfellows

Reaction score
That's really a pretty elegant little engine with some nice design features. I particulaly like the slotted cylinder sides to keep the rollers oriented correctly. Wonder how well it would scale up?

Chuck

dvbydt

Reaction score
itowbig,

I'm pleased I managed to get the idea across.

Chuck,

It should scale up OK, but would probably need ball races rather than plastic rollers. It did cross my mind that the rotor might make a centrifugally supercharged, uniflow, 2 stoke a possibility, but just a pipe dream!

The reason I was experimenting with porting was for a small air driven V8, but the elegant ball valve exhaust ports on your opposed 4, has caused a redesign and that engine is on hold for the time being.

Ian

cfellows

Reaction score
Glad you are trying the ball valve design. It's fun to see how other people adapt it to their own designs.

Chuck

imagineering

Reaction score
What is the actual shape of the Rotor cavity - is it 3 holes at offset spacing, or is it a more complex set of curves?

Murray.

dvbydt

Reaction score
Murray,

Yes, just 3 bores. The concentric one done on the lathe, the two offsets done at the same setup on the mill with a
flycutting tool.

Ian

imagineering

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Could you post a few basic dimensions please - this one intrigues ???

Murray

dvbydt

Reaction score
Murray,

Drawing of the rotor for you, should give you most of the information. I didn't do any drawings before I started, just made it up as I went along, so the drawing is just measurements of the completed motor. Important is the 5mm hole size as it gives the correct spacing of 45 degrees for the porting.

Ian

RotorImage.jpg

imagineering

Reaction score
Thanks Ian, it's now on my 'to-do' list.
Am I right in assuming that the Porting Holes go all the way through the Rotor Shaft, (making 4 in total)?

Murray

dvbydt

Reaction score
Murray,

Two holes and two slots - the inlet transfer ports that get covered by the outer sleeve.

Ian

crueby

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Reaction score

That is the coolest thing. You were thinking outside the room holding the bag that the box was in!

dvbydt

Reaction score
With the number of views of this thread, I figured this little experimental air motor had earned a mount and a dust cover.

Ian

Dust Cover.jpg

Latest posts