Saimp mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

datosi81

Reaction score
The last thread I made had me looking at some potential upgrades from my current X2 mill. First I was looking at a rong fu style round column mill, before I could get it someone else scooped it up. Then there was a generic 28x6 small knee mill. I bid a little low and the other guy got it.

A few days ago I came across a Saimp vertical mill. It was significantly larger than I was looking for (due to wanting to keep it in the basement workshop rather then the cold garage) but, I always wanted a full size mill and I made an offer that I thought the seller wouldn’t seriously entertain and would counter. To my surprise he accepted the offer. So today after a 200 mile road trip, I know own a Saimp “H” mill. Problem is I can find almost no info on these machines online. I know it’s made in Italy. I’d guess 70’s vintage. Similar in look to a Bridgeport (I’ll be attaching pics tomorrow when it gets settled in the garage). It feels pretty good, smooth and tight without much backlash.

Anybody familiar with these machines or can point me in a direction? 99% of the results on google are sites selling used ones seemingly in India. I appreciate any help

This looks very much like my J head clone which is called First and made in Taiwan. Parts are supposed to be interchangeable with original Bridgeport parts so if the same is true for your mill it's a rugged machine that will do lots of useful work for a hobbyist. Mine sits in my garage/shop as well and it's not fun to operate in winter but I manage.

Look for Bridgeport J head manuals on line and compare the location of controls. You may not need more documentation.

Latest posts

Back