Running engines on Air Brush Canned Air

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamboatmodel

Reaction score
It was suggested in another thread now closed that,
"You could try a can of air made for air brushing."
Before you do please check and see what the propellant is.
Some of those cans use butane as a propellant, they also have the same thread as some of the small camping fuel canisters.
Regards,
Gerald.

Use your car's spare wheel as an accumulator - make a suitable hose and you can fill it for free at any garage.

Ken

Most large luxury cars have air adjustable shocks for an adjustable ride height and comfort. they have a small compressor under the hood that can be gotten cheap from an auto recycling yard.

the compressor is compact and can develope rather high pressure but if you are testing a large engine you will want to use an accumulator with it.

the compressors are obviously 12v.

Randel

cl350rr said:
arge luxury cars have air adMost ljustable shocks for an adjustable ride height and comfort. they have a small compressor under the hood that can be gotten cheap from an auto recycling yard.

the compressor is compace and can develope rather high pressure but if you are testing a large engine you will want to use an accumulator with it.
the compressors are obviously 12v.
Randel

They are similar to the ones you can buy to carry in your trunk to pump-up a low tire, and those are also inexpensive. Although they might deliver the claimed high pressure (mine says 275 psi ) And as you said they don't provide much volume due to a lack of a storage tank. You could add a storage tank with a pressure switch if you have the underlying knowledge on how to build a system that's safe and functional.

A small compressor for the shop/garage is relatively cheap, safe and portable. And a good investment in my opinion. I got mine three years ago, and found out that everyone in the family has a use for it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=compressor

-MB

A friend of mine, being 'cheap' as he is, uses one of those "pig" storage tanks. They are used in an emergency to inflate tires etc. He goes to the gas station and fills it up. He doesn't use it a great deal and he has small engines, but it seems to work OK for him. Personally I like that idea of the 12V compressor with a small storage tank.

BC1
Jim

I now use one of my compressors for running engines on air, but thought I would mention about the butane in the air brush cans (which sells for about four times the price of camping fuel cans). I discovered it when I was using one for testing for leaks in a fuel set up with a new burner. I had been switching back and forth between it and a camp fuel canister, when I was interrupted and had just closed the fuel valve. When I came back I opened the valve and light the burner, it worked great I had a nice blue flame. I then shut the valve and removed the deck cover and then discovered that I had been running the burner on the air brush canister. I disconnect it and looked it over there was a very small flammable symbol almost completely covered by the price sticker. Unlike the camping fuel canisters there was no noticeable Oder with it, and fortunately I now use an air compressor for air brushing and leak checks, but I used to do my airbrushing with some of those cans besides a gas furnace.
Regards,
Gerald.

Latest posts

Back