After looking at the plans Rick posted I thought it would be a good engine to build. After all, it can be built in a weekend. ;D My goal is to use material and tools at hand. I started with making the crankshaft from round stock in the shop that had all ready been shown to machine poorly. The tool bit dug in with help from me and bent the crank prior to completing it. I had some brass and music wire so decided to change the crankshaft type. While deciding how to make them I started on the columns. The first job was to cut some square stock and face to size. Next I cut to length, drilled and tapped holes in each end. One end of the column is screwed on to a short piece of hex stock to mount in the chuck for turning.