Rotary table

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnesrickw

Reaction score
I want to build an accurate rotary table. What would be a good/useful worm gear ratio?

I want to build an accurate rotary table. What would be a good/useful worm gear ratio?

Hemingway uses a 60:1 ratio on their kits. It yields a dial graduation resolution that advance the table by just 0.1°

But you should check out the threads on stepper controlled rotary tables... you can use up to 90:1 ratio with the latest program IIRC.

Hemingway uses a 60:1 ratio on their kits. It yields a dial graduation resolution that advance the table by just 0.1°

But you should check out the threads on stepper controlled rotary tables... you can use up to 90:1 ratio with the latest program IIRC.

Actually, there is no real limit on the ratio on my Arduino sketch.

If you have a look what Chuck Fellowes did, he made his table using a stepper and timing belts. These are pretty easy to find. Most steppers are 200 steps per rev (1.8 deg) but you can get 400 steps per rev. (0.9 deg). It would just be a matter of choosing a timing belt ratio that gave you an acceptable resolution. Depending on your needs, a straight shaft ER32 collet chuck would be a great start.

Latest posts

Back